Multifuel stove pre-inspection comments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello group, I recently installed a multifuel stove. I would appreciate any comments prior to inspection so I can get it right, the stove has a 6" enamel flue which goes directly into a 8" clay liner. I will be sealing this with multiple winds of fibreglass rope finished with a fire cement. The render around the fire is 8/1 sand & lime with about half trowel cement. Can I install the fire completely prior to inspection or will the inspector need to see the flue before I seal, I can take photo's at the various stages as proof.
Regards Otto

Sponsored Links
It does strike me as a question that would perhaps be better posed to your LABC office.. It's notifiable work, and my building inspector has always preferred to see the actual job rather than photos. Your mileage may vary

Have you installed a Carbon Monoxide detector at the prescribed location? Have vents been installed? Your house looks older than 1992 so if the stove is over 5kw you need an air vent. Essentially for every kw over 5kw that your stove is, you need to drill slightly larger than a 1 inch wide hole to a source of fresh air

Hi im an hetas engineer , your stove is too close to top of opening the register plate should be made from 1.5mm stainless steel and have access to inspect conection what kw stove is it as if above 5 needs ventilation the size of this depends on age of house , the construcyional hearth the bit under the hearth you see must protude 450 mm from front of opening and 200 mm either side and be a minimum of 125 mm thick, The decorative hearth must stick out 300 mm from front of applience ,150 mm either side of opening. There should be 150 mm clearence around applience . There is still loads of regs to go but if you type in approved document j into google you will get most of the info you need. But remember when gas is burnt it gives off between 8 and 12 ppm carbon monoxide when wood is burnt it gives off 40000 ppm a few good lung fulls and your dead wood burners and solid fuel appliences are much more dangerous than gas when it comes to carbon monoxide, thats why its law to have a carbon monoxide detector with wood burners but not gas. I would just say its not worth risk to get wrong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back