Multifuel/wood buring stove,few Qs about fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey,and cheers in advance to any one that can help me

ive got a 3 bedroom semi with gas central heating and electric fireplace.
The 30 year old boilers decided to leak so i had a plumber take a look,he said the boilers shot,showing me a large crack down the cast casing

so the situation is,,
me and the missus have still got hot water from the emersion heater/water tank and still got heating from the fireplace and a portable heater,,emersion heater is only on for an hr a day to heat a tank full

so we can get by until funds allow for a new boiler

my question is about fitting a wood stove in the kitchen diner.
theres a chimney stack already in the corner it just needs the airbrick removing and opening up.
iam interested in a stove as people have told me they heat the hole house and sort alot of condensation problems out.

ive read up a little and it looks like ive got two options,
1, get a registered fitter in to line the stack and sort all the paper work for me
2,do the hard work myself and pay the council to check ive done it correct

so iam asking for any advice on this subject,

another thing iam looking at £2000 for a new boiler
so the idea was to fit the stove and liner myself

i can get the stove,liner and fitting for £500
can anybody tell me what the council charge for building regs/checking my work????

alot of Qs sorry for that but if anybody can give any kind of info
cheers and a happy new year to all

Sponsored Links
i can get the stove,liner and fitting for £500
:eek:

I take it you are thinking of a cheap steel stove.
Would be interested to know where you are getting the liner from.

It may not need lining. If it's a refractory clay pot liner than all it might need is a good sweeping.

Don't waste your money on a cheap stove. Pay for a good one and be pleased about making a good decision instead of regretting making a bad one.

Sponsored Links
cheers for the replys

but it would help if you gave me a little more infomation

does anyone no the fees involved in carring the job out yourself??

can anyone give some rough prices for wood burner installs???

ive read some good webpages instructing on how to install liners and stoves and to me as iam in the trade as a bricklayer would be a simple job to carry out.
its just the paper work that puts a stop on things

so any infomation on prices would be a bonus,,cheers

My Dad installed his own woodburner and notified nobody except me and a few others. :rolleyes:
It was an open fire he set the stove into.
It cost him less than £500 he tells me. :D He's a retired farmer though and very resourceful and adept.
I think you should have your current flue inspected by a HETAS approved installer and he will inform you whether you need the flue re-lining or not.

ahh yes ive worked for a few farmers and they sure no how to save the pennies :LOL: but i want my install to be legal for insurance reasons

i find people are quick to advise on the exspensive routes
just because its not there cash..i like to look at other ways wether it be second hand or through a friend ;)

ive read people saying if your fitting a woodburner to an old chimney you should fit a liner just in case plus it draws the fumes out better.
so paying someone to tell me that is silly isnt it????

still would like to know some rough prices for a basic install???

and anybody know what the fees are if you carry the work out yourself???

iamfreezing";p="1095760 said:
theres a chimney stack already in the corner it just needs the airbrick removing and opening up.

Stay off crack and pay your bills.

Stay off mushrooms and face reality.

can anybody tell me what the council charge for building regs/checking my work????

it`s normally 10 pounds fifty and a lollipop. ;)

Bambergaspipe";p="1096044 said:

Stay off crack and pay your bills.

Stay off mushrooms and face reality.

it`s normally 10 pounds fifty and a lollipop. ;)

:LOL: i would of laughed if any of this made any sense

i mean when people are trying to be clever at least they take the time out to make there bullsh*t sound funny

you on the other hand have just made yourself look a right plonker

so instead of getting angry at me why not carry on abusing that women in here thread you freeking computer geek :LOL: ,,peace out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back