Multiple Drayton Digistat +3RF thermostats to create zoning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my 1st post, apologies if you've been round this buoy before.

I have a combi boiler and CH system controlled by one Drayton Digistat +3RF located downstairs in the dining room/lounge. All bar one of the rads in the system have TRVs fitted. My office is upstairs and is frequently too cold because controller is downstairs. If I install a second Drayton Digistat +3RF in the upstairs office will this solve my problem? ie a demand signal from upstairs unit will switch on the CH system but downstairs TRVs will control the temerature downstairs and vice versa. Anybody had experience of this as a zoning solution?

Sponsored Links
It is an a7se about face way of doing it.

Best option would be - stat in the office, then Pegler itemp valves elsewhere.

Or if you are feeling flush - Honeywell CMZone. Which will give you two separately controlled zones without plumbing.

If you are feeling Uber flush - Evo Home - which can zone rads in the same way but with 8 separate zones.

I am getting one sometime this week to trial.

Hi Dan, thanks for reply. However i don't think the Pegler solution would help as they would just transfer the problem downstairs beacuse they do not have any control on the boiler pump. This is unlike the Honeywell systems you identify for which each rad unit can wirelessly send a demand signal to the boiler control unit and hence pump. I can see that this would solve my problem. However the cost for a basic 6 rad system appears to be between £500-£600. I was hoping to get away with another Drayton Digistat unit circa £120 and solve it that way. My fear is that the two Drayton units might conflict/interfere with each other and cause some sort of hunting etc.

Thanks again for your reply as I wasn't aware of the Honeywell systems and giving wireless demand control to each radiator/consumer seems a neat way to go.

Best regards
Mikkadol

But having a second thermostat would just bring the system on again.

You need to have time control over the parts of the system you don't want on.

Unless you plumb a separate circuit in, the Pegler or Honeywell system are pretty much the only solution... Hence no other replies as yet.

A phrase I have found very useful in my line of work - "Champagne ideas, beer money".

Sponsored Links
Hi Dan, thanks for reply. I called Drayton today and at first got the answer yes it was possible to do but would obviously require new transmitter and an additional receiver. Ok, on enquiring how to wire up the additional receiver I was put through to another guy who basically couldn't see my argument either and said only way to achieve upstairs and downstairs zoning was via a motorised valve. Not so said I, honeywell have a system with wireless transmitters on individual TRVs. --ah well that's a different system all together he said! At this I gave up pursuing the argument.

Overall, thanks to your comments i've come to the conclusion that doubling up on Drayton Digistats is too risky a venture. I'll wait untill the champagne ideas get a bit cheaper. Does seem the way to go though.

Thanks again

Best regards
Mikkadol[/u]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back