Multiple loads on a Radial

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
This is a small change to a final circuit, not in a bathroom or kitchen so I am doing it in my capacity as sensible householder.

An elderly relation has a modern CU with MCBs under the stairs, neatly and professionally installed. It includes a 20A radial marked "this cupboard" which just supplies a double switched socket close to the CU. However my relation has plugged a doorbell transformer into one socket, and an outside lamp in the other. I was planning to put both of these onto FCUs with 3a cartridges and run in 1.5mm T&E.

However, I have only used radials before with a single appliance on them (immersion heater, shower, freezer usw.) I looked in my OSG and browsed the reference section here, couldn't find anything about having multiple loads on a radial. Is it permitted? Is there a particular way to do it (like having a fused spur off a ring?) If I can, I'd like to retain the socket outlets as well, as they're handy for hoovering the hall.

Sponsored Links
No problem to adding FCU but if these appliances are on fused plugs you cound just add another double switched socket outlet.
There is nothing in the regs against having as little as two doubles off a 20A fused radial, and perfectly safe.

Add the FCUs onto the end of the radial using 2.5mm² T&E (not 1.5mm²)

Adam_151 said:

oh, yes, I see what you mean, keep the radial in 2.5 so it is protected by the 20A MCB. What I had in mind was the cable from the FCU to the load can be 1.5mm (they are currently both in flexible cords from the plugs).

Can a radial have several sockets on it, then? Is there a limit, like the 100 sq m floor area of a ring?

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
Adam_151 said:

oh, yes, I see what you mean, keep the radial in 2.5 so it is protected by the 20A MCB. What I had in mind was the cable from the FCU to the load can be 1.5mm (they are currently both in flexible cords from the plugs).
Yeah, you're free to use 1.5mm² on the load side of the FCU

Can a radial have several sockets on it, then? Is there a limit, like the 100 sq m floor area of a ring?

Yes, and 50m² for 16/20A Radials, and FWIW, 75m² for 32A radials

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back