Multiple Regulation Issues / Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a number of questions in regard to our renovation works. The house is a 1903 terrace, it is being reshuffled from a "two up two down" with kitchen/bedroom off the back, and a single storey bathroom off the back of that. The stairs have been moved to the side wall, and we plan to merge the downstairs kitchen & bathroom into one big kitchen with French doors into the garden.

I am waiting for BCO to get back to me still, but really could do with an answer ASAP. Until I know exactly what we need to do, I can't get exact quotes from builders.

Ground_zps7d881299.jpg

First_zps9725cb63.jpg

Issue 1: Stairs headroom

The new stairs have a winder under the small landing into the bathroom. This landing cannot really be made any smaller for good access, but this means a small corner of the winder does not have the required 2m headroom. As shown, about 7cm on one stair only. Is there any flexibility in regard to this? 

Stairs1_zpsdc866bb4.jpg

Stairs2_zps2c84d714.jpg

Stairs3_zps1c4f0a2b.jpg

Issue 2: Fire protection

My understanding is that with the open plan we require the new stud wall (on the smaller bedroom facing stairs) to be fire rated, the RSJ's the same, and means of escape windows installed on the first floor, is this correct? Also will double plasterboard be required on any ceilings?

Issue 3: Changes to existing single storey extension

We are looking to change the existing pitched roof to a flat one to give adequate headroom, allowing patio doors to be installed. This would involve raising the roof height approx 30cm above the current highest point. Is this allowed, and are there any particular regulations to be observed in relation to the extra courses of bricks? Also the plan would be to run the soil pipe through this new roof to the outside, are there any rules against this?

Outside1_zps1a6cc06c.jpg

Outside2_zpsf5464c06.jpg

Thank you for your time.

If any more details are required please let me know. 

Sponsored Links
Issue 1 (headroom).

Normally there should be 2m clear headroom above the pitch line, but that is guidance only and there should be some flexibility when this can't be achieved, particularly in older properties.

As it is the headroom over the winder which is the issue, you could draw the inspector's attention to BS 5395 Part 2 (Code of Practice for Helical and Spiral Stairs). Para 5.5 states that;
'headroom should be not less than 2000mm, but it may
be reduced to 1900mm wherever this is not practicable,
eg at a distance of 150mm or less from the centre column
or inner handrail across the tread'.

Although strictly this applies to full spiral/helical stairs, your winders can be regarded in that light. It would be an unreasonable inspector who would not agree to your situation.

It would be appropriate for you to bang the inspectors head into the offending floor should he insist on achieving 2m headroom across the full width of that winder.

Thanks for the replies :)

Anybody got any idea on the other parts? Just called BC, they think it might be Tuesday before I get a reply :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Issue 2 (fire).
As it's only a 2-storey house, no special requirements arise. The partition to the bedroomm/landing can be ordinary studwork with sound-insulation batts and 3/8" plasterboard both sides.
Structural elements lke steel beams DO have to be encased to 1/2 hr. FR.
Ceilings can be 3/8" plasterboard.
You would in any event be required to install egress windows to the first floor.

Perfect, the quote I had was to double board all the ceilings (totally 48sqm!) so that should bring the cost down nicely :)

Thanks

Issue 3. Can't see any Planning concerns there, as long as the finished structure is < 4m high (which it will be) and < 3m to the eaves (which it will be).
You might have an issue with the building inspector on the size of the brickwork return at the outer corner. With hanging the weight of a patio door, you need to be looking at leaving in about 2 1/2 bricks width - certainly no less than 2 bricks.

Ok, that patio door thing might be a problem.

The internal dimensions of the wall are 2200mm, the door I have delivered is 1790mm wide. I actually ordered the 1490mm ones though (got delivered the wrong ones).

It sounds like I might NEED the smaller ones?

If you put 1790 doors centrally within the end wall, you might be cutting it fine with the remaining pier; remember that double-glazed doors are heavy and there will be the vibration opening and shutting. Personally, I'd be inclined to go with the smaller doors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back