Mushroom fungi growth on kitchen ceiling after a water leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 263300 I had a water leak in my bathroom a couple of months ago and now have mushroom fungi growing on the kitchen ceiling underneath the bathroom . How do I stop this please and do I just pluck it to remove it ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Mushroom Fungi.jpeg

you have to dry out the void, by lifting floorboards in the room above, and/or cutting holes in the ceiling below.

Obviously you didn't.

The ceiling is clearly still wet.

While you're doing that, check to see if there is an ongoing leak.

Sponsored Links
And just for good measure that looks like it could be dry rot (fruiting body). It will die off if you dry out the woodwork, although it can also produce fruiting bodies if it is distressed as well (e.g. if its' source of water has been cut off and it thinks it is dying). Looks like you still have a leak though, so you do need to open up either the ceiling below or the floor above and sort it out as a matter of some urgency. Is this an old house?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not ask the mods to transfer your thread to the building forum?

Thats Dry Rot and its been active for some time.
What kind of leak was repaired?
When was it fixed?
Who by?

Why not do as advised above - first thing is to open the ceiling, the plaster board has to be replaced anyway - then post pics of what you expose, plus pics of the bathroom itself showing that wall above the floor?

In the bath room is that wall a stud partition or a brick wall?
Whats on the other side of the wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back