Musty smell after papering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted this in the building forum by mistake a few weeks ago and didn't receive any replies:

A few months ago I stripped the vinyl wallpaper in the lounge ready for redecoration. Underneath is paramount type partitioning - the house is timber framed. I have been concious since of a smell which I couldn't quite place, but seemed to be coming from the walls. A few months later and I have had the walls repapered. Immediately after he had finished the smell seemed a bit stronger and I twigged that it was probably wall paper paste. Whilst the smell is not now quite so strong it's still there 3 weeks later. If I ventilate the room well it virtually disappears, coming back when the room has been shut up for a while.

Initially the alarm bells starting ringing that it might be damp or rot, particularly as the house is timber framed, but before the walls were repapered I could find no evidence of this either inside or out. It doesn't really smell like how I would imagine damp to smell in any case.

As far as I can remember the decorator didn't seal the walls before papering, and the new wallpaper is super fresco, which from my previous posting about tacky emulsion in the hall, I understand is porous. The paper has now been decorated with matt emulsion, and has dried OK .

I don't know whether it's my imagination but the aroma seems to be slightly stronger towards the front external window wall of the house, although I am in an end terrace and the fireplace wall is an external wall as well. The walls do smell a bit pastey, but not as strong as the aroma can be in the room which seems to build up when the room is shut off.

I guess after all that, the question is whether it will go in time, (it doesn't seem to be) if indeed wall paper paste is what the smell is. I need to put new carpet in the lounge and don't really want to do that until I am more sure about the problem. Any thoughts welcome. Do I need to seal the walls?

Sponsored Links
New Wallpaper, paste and emulsion will stink a bit for a few weeks if room gets regularly 'shut up' I always tell em to leave door ajar to let room breathe. Vnyls certainly doo smell ...Come to think of it wont any room smell musty if it's shut up for some time?... Tried any de-ouderiser thingies? Mind you they make me sneeze :mad:

Ps.. is the old carpet still down? did it get wet /dirty when stripping old paper off??

Has Fred West ever lived there?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back