Musty smell/mould in vanity cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We've recently had a small basin vanity cupboard unit fitted in our new cloakroom. It's developing black mould under the basin and the cupboard smells very musty. There're no leaks. The cupboard has no ventilation which is presumably the problem.
Do you think cutting a hole in the base of the unit where it won't show and inserting a ventilation vent is the answer. I don't want to leave the cupboard open all the time!

Sponsored Links
you need an extractor fan. It may need to be ducted. You might be able to run it in the loft.

you need an extractor fan. It may need to be ducted. You might be able to run it in the loft.

Thanks, but it's just a small downstairs loo. It doesn't have any condensation problems and is well heated, it's just the inside of the cupboard that's unventilated.

Sponsored Links
No, there's not. There never has been and it has a good size window and radiator. A fan really wouldn't help as the cupboard is completely sealed.

I've tried wiping all the mould off the bottom of the sink with mould remover and will leave the door open for a few days then see if the mould and musty smell returns.

Window is of no help unless it's left open, radiator has no affect on mold.Room should be ventilated as it will always have a fair moisture content.

in humid rooms, condensation, damp and mould often appears first inside and behind furniture which is against unheated walls.

I gather you don't want to add ventilation, so you're stuck with it.

It's not moist or humid in any way and never needed an extractor. When the room was refurbished there was a leak into the new cupboard which caused the mould. After it was fixed, cleaned and dried out I failed to notice the black mould covering the underside of the sink. Now that has been treated and has dried out I'm fairly sure it will not reoccur. Just thought I'd ask the best way to vent the vanity cupboard if we need to.

original post:

Hi
We've recently had a small basin vanity cupboard unit fitted in our new cloakroom. It's developing black mould under the basin and the cupboard smells very musty. There're no leaks. The cupboard has no ventilation which is presumably the problem.
Do you think cutting a hole in the base of the unit where it won't show and inserting a ventilation vent is the answer. I don't want to leave the cupboard open all the time!

can anyone see the words "damp caused by a leak" in there?

latest post
It's not moist or humid in any way and never needed an extractor. When the room was refurbished there was a leak into the new cupboard which caused the mould. After it was fixed, cleaned and dried out I failed to notice the black mould covering the underside of the sink. Now that has been treated and has dried out I'm fairly sure it will not reoccur. Just thought I'd ask the best way to vent the vanity cupboard if we need to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back