Rice pudding is delicious, best cooked in a gas oven with a thick layer of sweet brown skin.

Sponsored Links
I have lived in Algeria and the Falklands where all milk was canned or UHT in packets and yes we did get use to it. There was nothing else unless you want to go sheep rustling and try sheep milk. As an emergency we still have a packet of UHT milk, far better than freezing, as one it's full fat, and two don't need to wait for it to thaw.

There was nothing else unless you want to go sheep rustling and try sheep milk.
Nothing wrong with sheep's milk, is there?

Makes splendid cheese.

As an emergency we still have a packet of UHT milk, far better than freezing, as one it's full fat, and two don't need to wait for it to thaw.
Without a shadow of a doubt I would rather go without.

Sponsored Links
Anyone remember sterilised milk ?
I had forgotten about it - so thanks very much for bringing that bad memory out again :( The things we used to "drink" when on holiday :eek:
And on that, anyone else experienced milk in 1 pink "sachets" ? I recall that once - these big plastic bags that were a complete bugger to handle once you opened them.

I saw those on sale in Sainsburys a few years ago - you bought a jug to put the opened sachet into, the idea was to save on packaging.

It seems that nobody, from the people who came up with the idea through to Sainsbury's buyers ever stopped and wondered what people were supposed to do with all the unopened floppy bags of milk in their fridge.

What?

How to deal with unopened bags of milk?

Put them on the shelf, like any other item....

It was only the opened ones you needed to worry about, but a jug would take care of that.

I used to work at Heald's Daries in Manchester and we packed Beech Farm milk in poly bags.

It was around the mid-80's and milk was around 20p+ a pint. The bagged stuff was around 15p.

I used to test the integrity of the heat sealed seams by throwing a filled bag of milk on the floor and standing on it. If it did not burst, I was satisfied the machine was doing its job properly.

Quite like the taste of UHT and steri...

I got used to sachets and jugs when living in Germany 1970's. Provided cut on the corner of the sachet was made at the correct angle the milk poured without ( too much ) spillage. It did need a clip to close the sachet between use and that kept dis-appearing

What?

How to deal with unopened bags of milk?

Put them on the shelf, like any other item....
Oh - they stand up, do they?

They don't flop about?

You could keep them in the door with no problems?

If you had a number of them next to each other they would stay upright?

If spaced out you could balance, say, a pizza on them if you had to?

I wonder why the ones which I saw would never do any of those things?

you can lie them flat on a shelf.

How do you store your pillows? On end with things on top? Perhaps your mind became fixated on milk in glass bottles.

Exactly. They are designed to lie down on the shelf and be vertical only when supported by a suitable container to aid dispensing.

I have had several in my fridge and have put one on top of another (though you cannot go more than 2-high) and put things on top of several laid out (lying down!) on a shelf.

Blimey, I didn't think I'd have to explain that to you Ban! Free your mind and think milk bags!

I have used evaporated and condensed milk, the evaporated had no way to re-seal once opened and it was not unknown to find insects in the milk, the condensed came in tubes together with loads of sugar. So I got use to drinking coffee and tea without milk. I did like green tea and mint with loads of sugar but prefer cups with handles rather than glasses. The coffee again without milk it needs sugar, normally today I don't have sugar in tea or coffee.

But working abroad one has to adapt, and I learnt to adapt quickly.

I do see how changing life style can reduce energy used. In Hong Kong cold tea was more expensive than hot tea. You could also buy cans of coffee with milk already in and they drank cold coffee like we drink a can of coke cola.

Boiling the kettle in the morning and making a large pot of tea which once cooled is put in fridge may reduce the energy used over having hot tea. Only the British put milk in tea, using milk cancels out much of the goodness of tea.

It seems most mammals can only drink milk as an infant, as they mature they develop an allergy to milk so are forced to stop drinking it. The human has over 1000's of years over come the allergy problem, however if one stops drinking milk the allergy to it can quickly develop. I am told drinking modified milk can also allow the natural allergy to form. I like milk so don't really want to drink modified milk so for me full fat every time.

So to get back to energy meters, does the fact that energy is used to heat tea or coffee mean in future you will make one brew a day and drink it cold?

the evaporated had no way to re-seal once opened and it was not unknown to find insects in the milk,
You can get press-on plastic caps that fit cans, widely sold in places that sell camping stuff, can be washed and re-used indefinitely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back