My Corsa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a 1997 corsa 1.4 automatic, when i start it in the morning it starts first time, then runs for about a mile, when i then stop at a junction then try to pull away it doesnt go no where at first then jolts forward. Once it has warmwed up it runs like a dream. what could be the problem, i have been told it may be the automatic transmission oil needs topping up. if so what oil do i use and where do i put it! Sorry to sound stupid but i have no handbook with the car.

jim

Sponsored Links
The oil if you need some is shell dexron 2. The handbook tells you how to drive it and use "S" mode and the "start-off" aid for snow,but not how to check the oil level.If you have a look under the bonnet,you will probably find a dipstick on the gearbox,normally you have the unit warmed up,move the gear lever (with engine idling)through the full range from "P" to "1"a couple of times to charge all the circuit then jump out and dip while still idling in "P".
Oil should be added if required a bit at a time,through the distick tube.
If problems persist,there is a self -diagnosis facility which vauxhall garages can read.

Sorry that its taking so long to get back to you and thank you. That does seem to have done the trick. Could you tell me what the significance of the 'S' on top of the gear lever is

Sponsored Links
No problem,glad it's ok. "S"is for sport mode,all it does is hold on to the lower gears a bit longer to give "sporty" performance. As you accelerate in "D"it will change(guessed figures) up from 2nd to 3rd at about 30 mph. In "S" mode it may hold 2nd to about 38 mph,so giving improved acceleration.
Unless you are in a real hurry,or you need that bit extra to overtake,stick to driving in "D". Economy is much reduced if you use "S"a lot.Just for interest and to prove it works,you can try pulling away in "D"flat out and noting the change points on the speedo.Then do it again in "S"and compare the numbers.If you have a tacho,this will of course show a revs increase.
Forgot to say,when you press "S"it should light up to show it's engaged.Press again to disengage.

Back