my electric shower is not heating up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an electric shower that has been working fine until yesterday. We turned it on and it did not heat up at all, not even when we put it on the highest heat option. Today it did the same but we were able toget some heat out of it in morning. By mid day the heat was much better but by evening its bad again. I have also noticed the water presure for shower seems low but not anywhere else in house. It is a very very cold bathroom (no heating in it and its a victorian house that is cold and hard to haet). its just a standard shower, is it possiable that the water is just too cold for the shower to heat up at the moment or do you think the shower is broken. please note that its not the normal problem that seems common of water running hot and cold (on cycle) it just cant seem to heat up very much at all, if at all!

Sponsored Links
....... Today it did the same but we were able toget some heat out of it in morning. By mid day the heat was much better but by evening its bad again..............

There may lie the clue ;)

With the cold weather we've been having of recent it's not unknown for some lower KW showers to struggle in cold temperatures. A couple of my customers have 7KW showers. One wanted a straight swap for an old one in there, I asked if they were sure - Yes came the reply. The other wanted cheap and downgraded from an 8.5KW against my advice and regretted it straight away.

You'll probably find the temperature very sensitive to the incoming water temperature. If the sun is beaming down on the cold main during the day then the incoming water will be warmer, and the shower effectively has a head start.

The other possibility is that your element is breaking down. To be honest, showers are so cheap these days. You can get a decent Triton for under £100. I know a lot of people don't like Triton, but I've never had any complaints from my customers or tenants. We have 2 in our house and they've lasted 7 years so far. If you're changing like for like (ie 8.5 KW for 8.5KW) then it's a repair, and should avoid Part P.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back