My Extractor Fan Woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello people. I'm new to the forum and have a question about my extractor fan.

First off I think I'd better say that I'm not an Architect. It's just my handle.

Anyway. I installed a new extractor fan today and once it was installed I ran into a problem.

It won't turn off. :confused:

Here are some details.
It's a Timer fan.
3 Core and Earth although the is double insulated so I snipped that wire.
It's running off a lighting circuit.

There used to be a fan in the ceiling but it was pulled out ages ago. The 3 core and earth is the same that fed the original fan and all I've done is extend it and wire it straight in.

Any ideas?
If I've left out something please tell me. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
NEVER NEVER snip off the earth.

Have you left it enough time?
If you switch it off from the three pole isolator, and switch it back on again does it stay off?

And if you haven't an isolator.......WHY NOT!!

Hi there.

About the Earth. There is nowhere in the fan to put the wire. What do I do?

I've left it ten minutes and it's still on. The destructions are crap and don't tell me the default setting for the timer. I can adjust it.

I don't know what the isolator is. The whole thing dates from the 60's or 70's I'm not sure. All I've done is swap the fan around with a modern one.

Also I changed the ceiling rose for the light about 6 months ago.

The-Architect said:
Hi there.

About the Earth. There is nowhere in the fan to put the wire. What do I do?

You should've sleeved it and terminated in a piece of choc-block inside the fan housing, that way the earth is there incase its needed at a later date, rather than having to replace the cable because someone snipped it off...

Sponsored Links
Ok, I fixed it. The fan was set to 15 minutes I think because it just switched off. I pulled the cord and it came on again.

Are you saying that the earth is safe as it is? Or do I really ned to get back on the ladder and take everything down again just to sheath the wire and block it?

There isn't a worry if I have. Safety is paramount with electrics but if it's just a case of making it simpler for when I come to do the bathroom properly I'll just leave it 'till then.

I don't know so please steer me in the right direction.
Cheers.

You shouldn't cut the earth wire back, it should be sheathed in green/yellow sheathing & terminated in a chocblock, this in case the appliance is changed at a later date & an earth is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back