My first Boss apron!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was well chuffed with my bit of bossing so thought I'd upload a couple of pics here, was thinking of putting it in projects but thought it be more appropriate here. Obviously not pro but not bad I thought for a first attempt. Takes it out of you I tell you and that was only Code 4! :LOL:

image015p.jpg

image016umb.jpg

Constructive criticism most welcome, any tips also appreciated. Done a bit of butt and lap burning too.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
First class 8/10

Try to avoid the dresser marks on the front section, in a straight line down from the chimney. :cool:

Cheers fella and thanks for the tip! :cool:

Shouldn't that be in the building section or somewhere else?

Whats it to do with current plumbing and heating?

Surely colleges are not still teaching lead work to students on plumbing courses?

Time they came into the 20th century and taught flame detection rather than thermocouples!

Sponsored Links
Permanent pilot lights have not been used in boilers since the last millennium!

Pilots waste fuel !

I did replace a Q309 in an old Baxi tonight which must have dated from about 1890 !

The guy has a 2009 new Rangerover outside and a new kitchen with a nice Neff hob but had refused to have his old boiler replaced!

Tony

Surely colleges are not still teaching lead work to students on plumbing courses?

Time they came into the 20th century and taught flame detection rather than thermocouples!

Lead is still and always will be the best material for weathering.

And let me tell you there's more skill in dressing lead than a repairing a thousand bean cans.

Time you learnt to appreciate quality and skill when you see Tony. :rolleyes:

My father was "old school" plumber and lead and zinc work always looks good when done well.......it a`nt easy just made to look easy when you can do it.

I was standing on a hill overlooking Brighton and admiring my handiwork from "when I were a lad." Three copper roofs and two lead. You don't have to zoom in too far on Google Earth either 'cos they are big beggars. Quite a lot of lead slates, back gutters and at least one lead soil. You youngsters that went to Brighton tech will have seen my LCC caulked joints and spun drain in the car park.

Now, why not take me on a tour of your early work.

Permanent pilot lights have not been used in boilers since the last millennium!

Pilots waste fuel !

I did replace a Q309 in an old Baxi tonight which must have dated from about 1890 !

er yes, but as we are still replacing them do you not think it necessary to teach their operation in college?

I called all 11 plumbers in the yellow pages in Leamington and asked for a quote for replacing toothed lead flashing on my roof.

None of them would quote and most said they did not do that work!

I did meet a plumber from nearby at an electronics fair and he said that he did do lead work but I was too far from him ( 20 miles ). I asked him how much he would expect to quote for labour only for one side of a small terraced house and he said "2".

I dont know if he meant £200 or £2000 !

The colleges should come into the present day and teach whats relevant. The last time I saw someones text book it showed a Sine 18 as the example of a combi boiler!

Tony

I asked him how much he would expect to quote for labour only for one side of a small terraced house and he said "2".

I dont know if he meant £200 or £2000 !

Tony

See, this is the kind of thing they don't teach anymore. Do they still do the long intake of breath and "well dunno who did that for you love?" :LOL:

Saw an advert for "lead plumbers once," tautology or what. :rolleyes:

The colleges should come into the present day and teach whats relevant. The last time I saw someones text book it showed a Sine 18 as the example of a combi boiler!

Tony

regardless of what else they are or what they are not teaching, a thermocouple is still relevant.

Lead flashings and weatherings are still part of the City & Guilds plumbing curriculum. Just shows how out of touch C&G are!

P.S. Nice job on the apron. I always found bossing a right ba$tard, lead kept getting thin and splitting.

Plumber = Shortened form of Plumbumber which was the name given to a person working with lead (Latin plumbum) including, but not limited to piping.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back