My gas boiler is making banging noises?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Glow Worm balanced flue gas boiler 45/60B, when it switches on it is fine but as the water heats it starts to make noises which become louder as the water gets hotter.I have purchased and installed via a radiator FERNOX superconcentrate boiler noise silencer (yesterday 16th), but this seems to have made no difference, how long should I give this treatment? the rest of the system is working fine. The boiler is over 20 yrs old, could this be part of the problem?
Any advice please?

Sponsored Links
sounds like the boiler is "kettling" common on older boilers .but give the fernox chance it may help,

Thanks for the info,will give it a try but to date there is not much impovement? Fernox state that it might require two applications, do you think this is worth a try or should I wait a few more days?

very common problem on older glowworm boiler with cast iron heat ex silencer doesn't usually work so either put up with noise or change blr (i believe heat ex is now obsolete)

Sponsored Links
OOI, do the boilers with a stainless steel exchanger bang and kettle when they get old?

With reference to the gloworm boiler kettling,I thought I would post an update on the situation. I gave the system two treatments of FERNOX superconcentrate over a period of four weeks and at first it did not seem to make any difference,but slowly over the last few weeks things have improved and I am now pleased to say that the system is almost back to normal,hardly any bangs and only slight popping noises now and again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back