My heating system only makes hot water when the CH has been

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in th emiddle of doing the place up for us to move into and have noticed that if the heating is set to off but the hot water is set to on, we get nothing but cold water. If the heating is on and the hot water is on OR off we got hot water.

The boiler is a Potterton Suprima 50L and in the airing cupboard i have the cylinder, one large (maybe 12cm square) pump and two smaller silver boxes which i assume to be pumps but honeswtly have no idea. These boxes are marked Hot Water and CH respectivly.

Obviously in the winter its not aproblem but i'd rathernot have to go around turning all the rads off just to get hot water flowing, I'll get a picture tonight if the cupboard but wondered if anyone had any thoughts. Are some systems just plumbed in like this? my grandparents have a similar setup and do indeed go and turn all the rads off in the summer.

Sponsored Links
your bioler obviously fires up to get your heating on. does it fire up when only hot wter is selected, i suspect not.if it doesnt i suspect your little silver box maked HW [hot water] it is actualy a motorised valve and is not sending asignal to the oiler and is stuck open

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back