My house is very cold ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our central heating has died - why do these things never happen in summer?

Anyway, a plumber from "1st Access" came around last weekend and spent half an hour looking at our Saunier Duval Combiboiler. Hot water taps are fine, but the pressure dial was off the scale (above 4 bar). When the heating is off it drops down to below 2 bar.

His recommendation was to flush and clean the whole heating circuit and given that it will take me until summer to save up for this, and in the meantime I may loose my toes, I thought it worth checking with you guys that it sounded like a sensible course of action. We're new to the house, but as far as I know, this hasn't been done since the boiler was fitter in 1997.

What do you think - is there any point in paying for a back-up opinion? My fear is that we get the system cleaned and the heating still doesn't work.

Thanks in advance

Nathan

Sponsored Links
a plumber from "1st Access" came
Sounds a bit like a yellow pages rip-off outfit. Best to go for small independent installers who don't need to advertise in Yellow pages.

The problem you describe is caused by the failure of the expansion vessel to accommodate system water expansion when heating is on. It can be a simple matter of restoring exp. vessel precharge pressure to resolve, although you may have a blockage in connecting tube or even need a new vessel.

Since your 1st Access guy didn't appear to identify this, you need to find a competent boiler engineer who understands how these things work. By the way the recommendation for a full power flush of the whole system is a typical scam for ripping you off even more (but sometimes good advice too).

Don't know much about the combi boilers but never heard of flushing a system out correcting a boiler fault. Sounds like you did get a cowboy plumber out for a fast buck!.

Search on internet for Corgi gas and use their search system for a registered central heating engineer. Plumbers are limited to the work they can do on central heating.

Just found it www.corgi-gas-safety.com that's their website and on the right is a search for installer in your area and they give a list of all registered engineers in or near your area.
bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back