My loft floor and insulation plan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

So having moved into our new home, mh next project is to floor and insulate my loft.

Upon inspection thd previous owner has floored in with bits of old wardrobe etc..

20160802_201049.jpg 20160802_201201.jpg

So I plan on removing this stuff. The loft has has the insulation topped up as there is fresh insulation on top of all the flooring.

So after clearing the old wood I plan on laying some 2x4 that will run parallel to thd hangers to raise the floor. Then use chipboard flooring. I also want to install rigid board insulation between the rafters which are 75mm deep. So small I right in thinking 25mm board with 50mm air gap. The roof has sarking board, membrane then tiles.

Here are some rough drawings.
The area in green is where I plan on fitting a new keylite loft hatch and ladder.

20160803_132238.jpg
The area in red is a rough size guide to calculate timber sizes needed. My loft is sort of split into 4 sections just like this
20160803_055347.jpg
This is a sort of cross section drawing
20160803_055401.jpg

So that's the plan I've come up with and help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
From what I can make out of your proposal it wont work in the sense that it might cause knock-on effects in the future.
Why not get a site visit heads-up from a professional joiner?

From what I can make out of your proposal it wont work in the sense that it might cause knock-on effects in the future.
Why not get a site visit heads-up from a professional joiner?

Thanks for the response.

The main idea is to put a floor down properly as old wardrobe i don't think is great plus would like to add extra insulation.

Any chance you can expand on what won't work and what future knock on effect it may cause.

I will see about getting a joiner to see what he thinks but always like to have my own information and plan too.

There's a possibility that you could put additional pressure on the ceiling below, and joists cannot just be hung from whatever appears to be available - it too might cause added pressure to roofing structural components.

Sponsored Links
Ok, so after much thought I've decided to get a joiner in to have a look about doing the floor.

But from what I can tell fitting insulation inbetween the rafters is a job I can do without causing any major disruption.

My question is do i need to leave an air gap or not? The roof has sarking board, membrane then tiles.

Sarking board or no it is normal to leave a gap above the insulation. Staple chicken wire to the joists beneath the insulation to keep it in place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back