My long haired, bald lawn (with pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all!

I had some turf laid at the back end of last year and everything seemed to be going fine until the late spring kicked in. I noticed that the lawn was growing extremely quickly, and needed cutting at least once a fortnight. After a couple of weeks I noticed that there seemed to be two different types of grass. One being really short and not growing much, and one which is like tuffs and grows like wildfire!

Now, over the past few weeks I've noticed that in some parts the rapid growing tuffs have stayed, and the shorter grass seems to have gone completely; and I'm now worried that I'm going to lose my lawn.

The turf came from a very reputable local firm and as I said, it was all fine up until a few weeks ago. Ironically enough it's the part of the lawn that gets most hammer that is growing best.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Sponsored Links
evening all

It's getting to the point when I'm going to have to cut it again.

Any suggestions as to what I should do from here?

is the middle picture in one area or all over teh place? is it in shade? have you been cutting it reguarly?

The middle picture is basically the top right hand bit of the first picture. The bald spots are generally in the top right hand corner of the first pictur, with a few also in the top middle part of the first picture.

Yes, it is in shade quite a bit at times, but I would say only out of direct sunlight, and not exactly in the dark (if that makes sense?)

Grass also grew there a bit when we moved in, but that was before I put a slightly higher fence up.

Cutting it about once every fortnight. Got a very basic entry level flymo that I've had for a few years which seems to shred the grass rather than cut it. Any pointers on this part?

Many thanks for the feedback

Sponsored Links
I'd have a word with the suppliers - at least you can get hold of the type of seeds that they use. Then, I'd invest in a decent mower and cut it down on stages (long first week, medium second and short third). Cut the grass weekly, sometimes twice. See how it fares.

Come the autumn scratch any bald bits with a rake and overseed. This year, through regular mowing, it'll look better and next year it should recover, especially if you top dress the lawn in the autumn - there are plenty of websites that provide details of how.

looks like its struggling to get enough sunlight in that area.

All points noted, thanks guys.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a new mower, might checkout ebay for a decent 2nd hand one maybe

As for the sunlight, I agree that it's not the most well lit part of the garden. But, the grass that is there, grows more quickly in that part than anywhere else...

As for the sunlight, I agree that it's not the most well lit part of the garden. But, the grass that is there, grows more quickly in that part than anywhere else...

Possibly because it stays more moist in the shade.

Gotcha.

I am very much a beginner, as you can probably tell

I've just cut the grass and it appears to be getting thinner more along the side of the fence. As you might see on the right of the first picture, the fence is quite tightly packed together. I might take a few bits of wood out and space it out a bit more so the sunlight can creep through.

Good idea?

Also, is a cylinder or rotary mower best?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back