My pricing a garage!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking advice from other builders with vast experience. Ive been working in the building trade over 20 years working for all different trades and have experience on building garages, renovations on day work, pricing small jobs for myself.

Ive built garages on my own along with a labourer but as mentioned, only day work. Im a sole trader whos always provided labor only with the clients always providing materials. Now im going to start building and providing everything. What sort of profits should i be adding on top of all labor and material costs.

Ill also be registering for vat. I live in Ireland where the vat threshold is 37.5k and once you go over this, one has to charge vat. Below is what ive priced for a garage ill be advertising in the summer. Its for garages one can build here without planning permission.

Itll be for a 5x5m garage with a trussed roof! Below is what i have it priced at. My pricing is without pricing any profit, insurances and unforeseen costs, only labor and materials.

Ive just covered from the ground up including the pour of footings. No ground works priced in because of all the different ground conditions there is. I would only price once i know what ive to be digging/working with underground.

Concrete pour and steel mesh!
Day1 Installing steel mesh plus concrete pour 1+1 men, 320euro (concrete lorry being able to pull up beside the trench or small distance with the wheel barrow)

Block footings!
Day2, Setting out block and laying. 2+1 men 500euro

Day3, Scraping , filling inside the footings for levels with hardcore stones
1+1men 300euro. Digger hire 150euro, dumper hire 100euro, roller hire 100euro (total 650e)

Day4, finish off filling with sand for levels. Lay heavy guage with plastic risers for steel mesh, steel mesh. 1+1 men 300 euro, digger, dumper,roller hire 350 (total 650e)

Day5, Concrete pour 2+1 men 500euro
Day6, extra day just incase 1 man 200euro (total 3250)

Materials.

25 linear m x 0.900 wide x .300 deep = 6.75cm . 7mc 560euro
8-10 ton 804 stone 100euro
3-4ton sand 100 euro
heavy guage DPC roll 30 euro
6 sheets of 4.8x2.4 steel mesh 10mm 375euro
steel hychairs 75 euro
steel wire 10e
Possible 5 ton extra 804 50e
plastic risers for under mesh 50e (total 1425e)

50x4 4 inch blocks = 200 block x 0.60c a block 120euro
sand and cement for footings 100euro (probably over estimated)
Wall ties for all block 70-100e
4inch dpc 10e
soap bars and concrete brick 50e
Concrete bull float hire 40e (Total 420e)

Day7 - Block laying( though opes and gables sq. estimate.

61 block long x 15 high = 912 x 2 = 1830 block
Peaks 12.1 block long x 7 high = 85 x 4 = 340.
2170 blocks @ 60c each is 1302euro
sand 10 ton 200euro
cement 40 bags @ 5.50each 220euro (probably over estimate)
wall ties see previous
lintels, cill 100euro
dpc 30euro
soapbars , concrete brick 90e (total 1942euro)

Block laying rates here are 1.25e-1.50e per block through opes.
2170x1.50e = (3255 total)

Roof. This is where i could be a day or two over estimate or hit it on the money.

Materials.
9 sissor roof trusses 540euro
wall plate 35e
wall plate straps 30e
truss bracing 150m x 4x1 120e
20kg nails 70euro (might need another box)
roof window 200e
truss brackets 15e
twisted nails 25e
2 rolls breathable felt 120e
18sqm roof slates 600x300 400 slates. ( my estimate could be out by some here) 400e
32 lengths 2x2 battens 4.8m 16ft 132e
11 ridge tiles + ridge nails 115e
4x2 treated timber for dry verdge (express nailed onto outer black to take batten) 40e
express nails 8e
wall straps 60e
ridge 6 lengths 93e
expandig mesh 8x2 7 off. 50e
slate hooks 50e (500)
6mm ply 13e
over fascia vent 40e
9x1 teated 33e
fascia nails+corners 35e (total 2340euro)

Day1 wall plate, unload trusses, timber on top of gable 2 men 400e
day2, errect trusses , ridge trim onto the 4x2s 3 men 450e
day3, brace trusses, 9x1 on front and back, fascia vent 2 men 400e (day 3 and 4 for both trusses and bracing but put down separate days for them pricing)
day4, felt , battens 1+1 men 300euro
day5, felt battens plus roof window 1+1 300euro
day6 slate one side 1+1 300e
day7, slate other side plus around window 1+1 300e
day8 ridge slates, fascia 1+1 300e (total 2750e)

1 window 250e
1 door 800e
1 roller door 1000e (total 2050)

Rendering
Day1 scratch coat 2+1 men 500euro
Day2, reveals and plinth 1+1 300e
Day3, Float one gable plus 1 side 2+1 men 500e
Day4, Float one gable and one side 2+1 men 500e
day5, for extra just incase 1 man 200e (Total 2000)

materials
2x1 battens for reveals,plinth 13 16fts 30euro
masonry nails 8e
sand 7 ton 140e
plasterciser/waterproofer 50e
cement 30-36 bags(probably over estimate) 200e
Large mixer hire 100e (total 530euro_)

Scaffolding 1500euro (have own)

Total is 21462euro

Sponsored Links
HAve still to add guttering and underground pipes.

Seems way too much materials,just block alone your near double needed,and lintels will cost more than £100. And £1500 for scaffold?

What sort of profits should i be adding on top of all labor and material costs.

Obviously you don't want to work at a loss, but the local market forces will dictate how much profit you can earn. If you aim for say a flat 20%, then you may well be undercut, or may just be too expensive. How much you are getting materials for and other on-costs of the business will matter - insurances, van running costs, plant hire, holiday pay and pension, or even your existing mortgage and loans will all be a factor.

But it may well be that your day rate does include your profit, until you get a feel for how quick you can knock these out and how much others are charging.

BTW, if you lose work due to others giving cheaper quotes, don't be afraid to ask the client or the winner how much their quote was. And if possible keep an eye out for how long they take to do the work. Then you can sharpen your pencil in the future.

I can't really comment on all the other stuff, other than to say that over €21k for a garage does seem very expensive. But it may be just the costs other there. A bloke at work was looking at nice cottages (with garages) over there for only 3x as much as that a year or so ago!

Sponsored Links
Seems way too much materials,just block alone your near double needed,and lintels will cost more than £100. And £1500 for scaffold?

2 concrete lintels 6inch high x 4inch wide double steel 4m long

2 concrete lintels 1.5m long 4x3inch single steel inside

2 concrete lintels over door 1.2m long 4x3 inch single steel.

1 concrete cill came to 100e cash last garage I worked on.

The scaffolding was a guess. Was quoted 1000 for a large chimney in an akward place and for as long as needed. I roughly estimated for this garage but as mentioned in the OP, I have my own scaffolding to cover a full dormer bungalow 15x8m with 2 peaked gables.

Last edited:
Obviously you don't want to work at a loss, but the local market forces will dictate how much profit you can earn. If you aim for say a flat 20%, then you may well be undercut, or may just be too expensive. How much you are getting materials for and other on-costs of the business will matter - insurances, van running costs, plant hire, holiday pay and pension, or even your existing mortgage and loans will all be a factor.

But it may well be that your day rate does include your profit, until you get a feel for how quick you can knock these out and how much others are charging.

BTW, if you lose work due to others giving cheaper quotes, don't be afraid to ask the client or the winner how much their quote was. And if possible keep an eye out for how long they take to do the work. Then you can sharpen your pencil in the future.

I can't really comment on all the other stuff, other than to say that over €21k for a garage does seem very expensive. But it may be just the costs other there. A bloke at work was looking at nice cottages (with garages) over there for only 3x as much as that a year or so ago!

I worked on a garage in 2018, 12mx 7.5 with outside ground works and the total was 41keuro labor only clients provided the materials for all workers. I have most of the days it took, materials used wrote down for it. It was also priced at 60k and 50k Inc VAT from other builders along with aslow as 30k but the client didn't want to take a chance on the 30 incase it was a cowboy job..

Van and van insurance, fuel, tool purchases, tool maintenance and other coming in at 7k a year. No public liability as I was under someone else's However Insurance costs here are ridiculously high. The insurance industry has a monopoly on it at the moment. For me and one employee, I got quoted 3k.

What I'll get materials for is roughly what I've quoted above. With abit of haggling I'd say I'd get a slight reduction.

I've put 200 for my day rate, this will cover my tax, prsi and usc which usually comes in at 25%. Others above I've out down between 150-200 for other tradesmen help and 100 for labourer. This will cover the tax etc.. for them.

Doing the work to a very good standard wouldn't be a problem. It's the making profit and finishing it on time is what I'm looking to achieve. Im getting tired of just making a wage and making others money.

20% of 21500 brings it up to 25800. I would be very happy with this if I got a few of these a year along with other work I do. But, 25800 plus 13.5% vat is 3483 plus 25800 is 29+k. Now it does seem expensive. That's without even groundworks digging the foundations etc...

About the time taken to build this garage. How does it look for roofers if they where to do a roof same as this. How many days would it take you to do it along with plasterers etc...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back