My prized VHS videos need transferring to DVDs.

Once you’ve got the tape in digital format on a DVD there is a lot of editing software available that you do on your PC / laptop and save to SSD / HDD etc.
Its getting it transferred to a digital format that’s key.

It doesn't need to be on a DVD to be in digital format.
Something like a USB VHS convertor will encode straight onto your PC. Then you can keep the files forever. Or then if you want to, burn them to DVD but unless you have a player, much better keeping the files on the PC or hard drive as most TV's can play back files from a USB drive.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't need to be on a DVD to be in digital format.
Something like a USB VHS convertor will encode straight onto your PC. Then you can keep the files forever. Or then if you want to, burn them to DVD but unless you have a player, much better keeping the files on the PC or hard drive as most TV's can play back files from a USB drive.
Agreed, I transferred my tapes to DVD first, because “it worked”, i tried a few VHS to USB captures devices with varying results.

The tapes are now long gone and the memories are on DVD and SSD.

i have had writable DVDs fail when i converted a lot of files from PVR and DVD onto a Panasonic DVD writer i had. But then VHS also failed . so as previously stated it maybe worth also getting then files transferred not just to DVD but as Files - and then keep at least 2 copies on various media - NOT USB stick....

It's often down to the type of dye used on DVDR's. They often have trouble being read.

Keeping them as files and also backed up on an external drive is best. If they are very precious memories you may also want to keep a backup off site too.

Sponsored Links
Just transfer them to PC and burn the DVD's from PC.

Then you have access to the videos from both devices, you can watch them on DVD and when that eventually fails you can make new ones from the files on your PC.

Ask on your local Facebook groups if someone near you has the interface to record from VHS to PC (plenty of people do this so someone else may have done it) then you may get to have what you need sorted easily.

I too have been playing this game. I did start converting the .avi files to DVD format to burn to dvd but with 5Tb hard drives at less than £100 I haven't bothered- I'm tempted to just dump the rest as raw AVI files cos rendering dvd images takes ages (this is all on fairly elderly PCs)

I too have been playing this game. I did start converting the .avi files to DVD format to burn to dvd but with 5Tb hard drives at less than £100 I haven't bothered- I'm tempted to just dump the rest as raw AVI files cos rendering dvd images takes ages (this is all on fairly elderly PCs)

Plus many TV's let you plug in your removal drives into the TV directly and play straight off it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back