VHS Video eject problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I have dug our Sony combined VHS/DVD Surround Sound system out of the loft to play some VHS cassettes to enable recording to DVD. The VHS part has hardly ever been used but now when I put a video in it runs for a count of 15 (seconds?) on the little display and then ejects. I’ve tried several different videos, all do the same.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
does it play normally then stop??
look inside the flap hold it open and tip and see if anything comes loose

If its been in the loft for a while the potentially large temperature variations may have accelerated deterioration of things like the rubber on the pinch rollers and also of the tapes themselves. At a guess its probably chucking the tape back out as the tension is all messed up and it takes several seconds of movement for this to occur. VCRs are very cheap on ebay. I'd buy one of those. Stick to a big known make.

Be careful you don't damage the tapes buy playing them in the old machine.

Also, with any video tape machine, let it and the tapes stand in the environment its going to be used in for 24 hours before use as the condensation can cause the tape to cling to the head drum.

Sponsored Links
Well it seems to have solved itself, working fine now and copying to DVD!

Thanks for the replies though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back