My Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I am going to put 1 x double socket and 1 x light into my shed. Am going to run armoured cable from a spur in the house underground in garden to the shed. Whilst that is fairly straight forward for me, I have been advised by a mate to use an RCD at the spur. My questions are.... 1. What is an RCD ? 2. What size do I need ? 3. Is there anything else I need or should know ?
I have wired bits and pieces before, but always under guidance, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks :D

Sponsored Links
Dimanes said:
I have been advised by a mate to use an RCD at the spur.
If the ring circuit in question lacks rcd protection, then this would be one of the ways for meeting the requirement to RCD protect your new socket

1. What is an RCD ?
residual current device... are you sure you know enough to be able to do this work?

2. What size do I need ?
I thought RCD FCUS were only available in 30ma flavour :confused: (and yes thats what you want)

3. Is there anything else I need or should know ?
Many many things: -

Disconnection times, volt drop, earthing arrangements, notifcation of work, termination of SWA, etc

I have wired bits and pieces before, but always under guidance, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks :D

I have a feeling you are going to have to enlist some 'in person' guidence for this task... sorry...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back