My sockets are not on a ring!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have just built a stud wall with a double socket to spur from the existing sockets in the room but I've just discovered that the 5 sockets in that room are on their own circuit and don't return back to the fuse board!!

Is this something that I need to rectify (i.e return the circuit to the fuse board) or is there a number of sockets that can be used in a room before that is necessary?

I hope this makes sense and appreciate any advice.

Matt

Sponsored Links
I have just built a stud wall with a double socket to spur from the existing sockets in the room but I've just discovered that the 5 sockets in that room are on their own circuit and don't return back to the fuse board!!

Is this something that I need to rectify (i.e return the circuit to the fuse board) or is there a number of sockets that can be used in a room before that is necessary?
No. It is perfectly normal and the way everything is wired apart from British sockets.
Just connect your new socket.

The British ring circuit for sockets was devised after the war for all sorts of reasons that no longer apply - but it persists because that is what people do.

What is the size of the cable? what is the rating of the protective device in the consumer unit? what is the intended use of the room?

Rings are used because they allow a 32 amp circuit to be installed with 2.5mm² cable (given normal installation conditions). On a "radial" circuit (one that is not a ring) then either a lower-rated breaker or a larger cable is needed.

UK regulations don't limit the number of sockets on a circuit, however overload protection devices are not supposed to be used as load-limiting devices, so circuits should be designed to be adequate for the expected load. A 20A radial circuit would be more than adequate for the expected load in most rooms, but probably not for a kitchen.

Sponsored Links
It is easy to misunderstand, we have in the UK a number of parallel systems:-
The radial as name implies the wires radiate out like tree branches.
The ring final the name final is important as it means the ring must never be broken, and there should be no circuits from it, however it is not quite true.
The spur is a twig off the main branch or ring final and relies on the fuse in plug to prevent over load, so can only supply one item, (socket double or single of fused connection unit [FCU]).
The fused spur, really a radial, because it has a fuse it can supply as many sockets as you want.

The ring final is nearly always 2.5 mm² (2.9 mm² = 7/0.029 in imperial) there is an option to use mineral cable but rarely seen in houses. Supplied from either 32 amp MCB/RCBO or 30 amp fuse.
The radial can be 2.5, 4, or 6 mm² and as a result can be supplied from 16, 20, 25, or 32 amp MCB/RCBO (15, 20, 25, or 30 amp fuse).

The British system allows many sockets to be supplied from one MCB/RCBO because it is normally 32 amp, where pre the 13 amp fused plug, the fuse board was full of fuses, there may have been two or three 15 amp sockets from the one 15 amp fuse, but with the fused plug common for 25 sockets off the one 32 amp MCB/RCBO.

However there are some draw backs, mainly down to maintenance, we should have an electrical installation condition report (EICR) every 10 years, less with rental properties, or change of occupant, which ever sooner, and this should high like loose wires and faults as the readings are compared with last one, so if last one shows 1.24 Ω and new one 1.34 Ω the inspector should look as to why, and any electrician should check on if the ring is complete before adding more sockets and after any work, etc.

However be it DIY or electricians being lazy, often the checks are not done, with a radial if a wire comes off the socket stops working, but with a ring final it will still work, so the user can be unaware of a fault. It is so easy for an electrician with his loop impedance meter to detect there is a fault, but for the DIY guy the loop impedance meter is rather expensive so he needs to open the consumer unit or fuse box to test, and that involves some danger, so often not inspected and tested after work is done, and for this reason some feel the ring final is not a good idea.

However on the plus side there are loads going for it, like reduced volt drop, but the DIY test plugs will not help testing a ring final as the first indication is around 1.9 Ω and the ring final fails at 1.4 Ω so you need not a £50 plug in tester but a £200 tester to ensure it's OK. But an electrician will have the meters required, so only problem is when DIY work has been done.

A continuity tester at the outlet is expensive, but a continuity protection in the panel would be relatively cheap. Why hasn't anyone invented such a thing?

A continuity tester at the outlet is expensive, but a continuity protection in the panel would be relatively cheap. Why hasn't anyone invented such a thing?

Sounds like a really good business opportunity for you to design one.

Not necessary if people stop installing the anachronistic ring final circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back