My Watermill shower pump won't work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would be most grateful for some help.

I have a Watermill shower pump that was fitted several years ago. In the past few days it has stopped switching on when the water flows. It is located in a rather awkward position in my boiler cupboard and I had to remove lots of stuff to get to it.

Having done that, it started working again! And then stopped.

I tried cleaning and replacing the inlet filters to the pump. Still no luck.

I wondered if it was the fuse to the transformer, or a problem with the transformer itself. It was rather hot (therefore I assume it was not the fuse) and I thought it was maybe a thermal cut-out. I turned it off, left it overnight and switched it on again. Still no luck.

I assume the pump can't have burned out since it started working again after the initial failure.

The other problem is the pipework from the pump to the shower is some distance (probably 10 metres) and has several bends in it. Also, the head of water is only just over the recommended 2 metres. Not ideal, but it has worked fine in the past.

My suspicion is that the flow of water is insufficient for the flow valves to kick in - the flow of water to the shower (without the pump working) is no more than a dribble, even with no shower head and with the pipe as low as it will go. Also in the course of cleaning the filters, I suspect air may have got in.

I'm running out of ideas - would it be worth taking out the inlet filters completely as they may restrict the flow?

Cheers, Brian

Sponsored Links
Without checking it over this is supposition. A pump should never get hot, you make it sound like no ventilation reaches it. Possible faulty flow switch. Doubt it is the flow to the pump as it worked fine before. Don't remove the filters, there there for a reason. If i had to guess either a blockage (check water flows to pump) or the flow sensor........by the time you have had it repaired it might be cheaper to replace (you get a new warranty too).......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back