Which Shower Pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I installed my power shower 16 years ago I used a Watermill twin impeller low voltage pump on the recommendation of the local plumbers' merchants. This worked well for over 12 years until it began to get noisy, so I thought it best to replace it as a precaution.

Watermill were taken over by Grundfos so I bought the direct replacement pump, Grundfos 1.5 STL. This worked OK for just over 2 years, just past the warranty. Then it began to work intermittently and needed a bang on the casing to get it to start. Now it's packed up completely. I've taken the wet bits apart, checked the impellers, filters, flow switches and all seems OK, so clearly the motor has died.

Which pumps do you rate? I won't buy Grundfos again, clearly not up to Watermill quality standards. I keep hearing recommendations for Stuart Turner Monsoon pumps, but they seem a hell of a price for something to boost a couple of showers a day. What's your experience?

Sponsored Links
This worked OK for just over 2 years, just past the warranty. Then it began. . .
This tells me that computer designed equipment works to an operational lifetime accuracy % precision that humans with slide rules and calculators could only dream of. :(

Maybe there is a motor rewind shop nearby?

Sponsored Links
... I bought the direct replacement pump, Grundfos 1.5 STL. This worked OK for just over 2 years, just past the warranty.
Warranty is irrelevant.
IMO it's reasonable to expect a product of that cost from a reputable manufacturer to last longer than 2 years - and therefore it hasn't been "reasonably durable". Take it back and demand a repair or replacement, but be prepared to accept a partial refund.

When you get the inevitable "out of warranty, nothing to do with us" - mention Sale of Goods and Services Act (look it up) and Small Claims Court. The manager of wherever you bought it will almost certainly change attitude, and quite quickly.
There is no specific time limit for such claims, but it obviously depends on the product. So the only limit for claiming a repair, replacement, or refund is the general statute of limitations which limits any civil claims to 6 years from the event (which in this case means when you bought it).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back