Myson Apollo making loud 'trombone' noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Currently renting a flat (on middle floor of 3-storey house conversion) with a very old boiler (Myson Apollo). The other day it started making a continuous 'trombone' noise so loud that I had to turn the boiler off. Since then the boiler has been behaving strangely: sometimes it makes the noise when you switch boiler on, sometimes it doesn't; sometimes the noise stops when you switch boiler off, sometimes you have to switch off the fused switch on the wall to make the noise stop. Also, the radiators and the water from hot taps seem hotter than usual.

Just wondering if it sounds like a big job?

Sponsored Links
Seems like an average job to me.

But its your Landlord's responsibility as well as being likely to be something needing a registered gas engineer.

I hope you have a current Gas Safety Certificate?

Tony

Thanks for reply.

Yeah, a guy came last year to do annual check on boiler (though I've put carbon monoxide alarm on kitchen wall just in case).

Does it sound like faulty thermostat or something?

Great wee boiler in its day. It's a low water content heat exchanger & were always prone to kettling. Get the guy to check the bypass & ensure the circulation pump is set correctly, they need a high flow rate.....👍👍
HTH

Sponsored Links
Thanks, will mention that when I report it to landlord.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back