Baxi 80HE Plus making "trombone" noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Baxi 80HE plus boiler that was fitted about 8 months ago and has started sometimes making a very loud noise like a trombone when it is running. I've investigated a bit by taking off the casing and the front plate and the noise is generated by some sort of resonance between the air pressure from the air being sucked into the fan, and the casing. To stop the noise I can just put my hand between the fan intake (not blocking the intake in any way) and the casing which makes it gradually die away. If I then remove my hand it starts again.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this, and how to fix it as it is loud enough to wake my kids in the bedroom above?

Thanks
Matthew

Sponsored Links
This type of problem is usually caused by a weak mixture.

Needs a CORGI engineer with a flue gas analyser to check the setup up.

Presumably the manufacturer's service Heateam could deal with it.

Tony

HI I HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM WITH MY baxi SOLO 24HE.
THE BOILER RESONATES WITH A NOISE LIKE A TROMBONE.
THIS NOISE IS INTERMITENT AND MAINLY OCCURS WHEN BOTH HEATING AND HOT WATER ARE ON TOGETHER. I CAN iliminate THE NOISE BY SWITCHING OFF THE HEATING MOMENTARILY

I CALLED OUT THE MANUFACTURERS WHO CARRIED OUT SPECIFIED CHECKS BUT FOUND NOTHING WRONG. AS THE NOISE DID NOT APPEAR WHILE HE WAS THERE WHICH IS TIPICAL HE LEFT AND A LOW AND BEHOLD THE NOISE WAS BACK WITHIN THE HOUR.

BEFORE I GET HIM BACK HAS ANYONE GOT THE SOLUTION

FRANKIEBOY

Sponsored Links
frankieboy said:

Possibly burner noise?

Check burner, gas input and gas rate.

Turn CAPS LOCK off!

baxpoti said:
frankieboy said:

Possibly burner noise?

Check burner, gas input and gas rate.

Turn CAPS LOCK off!

I have had this type of problem before. Almost everything in the boiler was changed. It turned out to be a bit of stray casting in the top of the heat exchanger! Not something you would ever think of.

Still most likely to be a weak mixture!

This is often coupled and caused by an undersized gas supply pipe!

One would ask if the second poster's installer was a CORGI and if they used a flue gas analyser to set it up?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back