Trombone player stuck in my Baxi 80HE plus - pity him!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The baxi combi 80He plus makes a trombone noise every few minutes. The CH thermoset (in the boiler) gets to temperature, shuts down and starts up again with the trombone noise. Imagine having a Morris Minor stuck in your boiler.

I've been reading through the post and the suggestions have been...

1. Excess metal on the seal around the Heat Exchanger.
2. Gas mixture in the burner being wrong.
3. The plastic ventura on the fan needs replacing.

Any one had the same problems and do any of the above seem reasonable explanations?

Incidentally I'm posting on here because I'm skint and can't afford to add the £250 already spent on this boiler, it's going to be uneconomic soon to fix it. So apart from number 2 above I want to DIY myself.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the interest picbits. I'll be honest, I don't know what the pressue is nor do I have a tool to test it. If the likely reason for the fault is the gas supply, I'll not touch it. Thanks

I am guessing that the boiler only makes the noise on CH ???

If so then you could clean the return filter if thats blocked.

If that does not cure the problem then it needs a setting within the boiler changed by a competent person who would also check the min/max settings at the same time.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Sorry - I should have been more specific.

The water pressure reading on the gauge on the front of the boiler - it will be measured in Bar

Do you have any water escaping from the pressure relief valve (pipe usually going oustide the wall) ?

Hi, thanks for the quick responses.

I'll try cleaning everything down, thanks Agile.

The water pressure is at 1.5 bar. Right in the centre of the green dial.

The problem only occurs on central heating. The CH gets to temperature, shuts down, the temperature drops and the flame relights and the fan(?? ) or the air moving past it starts to make the noise again. The cycle starts again. I've not taken an interest in the system before so I don't know if the system operated in the same way before but, of course, without the noise.

I'm not afraid of unsrewing things with electricty off but i am afraid of gas leaks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back