Baxi Barcelona.....I know sorry !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've had a search to see if there is an answer to my problem but the threads concerning the Barcelona don't specifically relate to my fault so if this has been answered I do apologise if I missed it.

Anyway, I've been using this forum for all manner of problems over the years and I've had no call to register and post as each job problem I’ve had has has been answered and fixed with the aid of you guys but I'm afraid its time to directly ask for help, guidance and forgiveness !!

As the header says I was one who purchased the Baxi Barcelona (that's the forgiveness part, he he!) about 9 years ago now and I must admit with it being serviced yearly by a qualified plumber I've had no problem's with it until about 12 months ago when I had the red light lock-out.
I followed the flow chart in the Barcelona's manual and checked on this forum and both stated that I needed to replace the PCB board. I did a bit of research and got hold of a new PCB and Ignition board very cheaply as someone wanted rid as they had got them as spares but not used them.
I had also been reading about the condensate trap (again on here) and found a new cheap larger one( for the Barcelonas replacement).
My elecy mate fitted the two new boards and I did the trap as with a maintenance engineers background it was easy to fit and did not involve fiddling with electric or gas (won't touch them as I'm not daft!!)
It then fired up with no problems and has been working a treat ever since until now.

My system was fitted by a qualified plumber and is a sealed system with an Ultra-steel cylinder for the hot water with the necessary filler and expansion vessels and has been in place for about 4 years, prior to that it was the usual gravity system with tanks and so forth in the loft.
The boiler seems to fire up during the night or morning as there is hot water to have showers/baths and do the washing when we wake.
This obviously uses the water and as such the thermostat in the cylinder requests hot water so opens the motorized valve which fires the boiler up but it looks like its about to ignite but doesn’t and sits there making no noise with the hot waters motorized valve open waiting for the boiler to do its thing.
There is no red light but the green is on and there is no fan running because the boiler hasn't fired up.
I would then switch the power off at the mains, wait a while then switch it back on. This would again request the boiler to fire for the hot water and some times it would fire (can hear fan running) and give me about 2 to 3 minutes of a boiler burst, then it would stop and do the same sitting there with just the green light on.
As it's summer I haven't had the central heating on so I tried it, the room stat turned up and controller on boost but the boiler would do the exact same, sit there with green light on.

I know from the various topics that the boiler is pants, but just at the moment I cannot afford to replace it and could do with trying to get another year out of it, plus with the shortage of money at the mo I really need my plumber to go straight to the fault and repair it rather then spending ages on trying to locate it so this is where I ask you guys in the know if you could possibly narrow it down to the cause??

Sorry about the long post and thank you for your time.

Sean

Sponsored Links
Baxi Barcelona ?? fitted one many years ago , leaked the 1st time water was put into it , never used them again ,dont remember a great deal about them but I seem to remember ?? that there was a flow switch fitted to the flow pipe ?? ( might be wrong ) some one on here may pick up on this ?? who can advise you better ?

Thanks transam,
I think I did read about the flow switch somewhere on the web??
Will wait and see for other replies.

Many thanks mate
Sean

Hi mossman, I had a Barcelona for about 10 years, I got it changed for something a bit better in May this year.

Bear in mind that I'm no plumber......I would guess that if it works sometimes, the green light is on and there's no fan noise, clicking or red light then it must think that it's up to temperature. Therefore maybe its the sensors (thermistors?) on the flow / return pipes. There's a red one and a black one I think and they're easy enough to check with a multimeter (instructions in the manual).

Im sure that someone who knows what theyre talking about will be along shortly. Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Thanks ajg68,
I think you are right mate as I have an update.
I read somewhere (think it was this forum again!!) when I was looking into the red light lock-out that the thermostat knob is better being in the 75% position, which it has been in since the PCB was replaced.

Anyway this morning no hot water so I went to see what the boiler was doing which was the same again, mototrized valve open demanding hot water but no fired up boiler only green light on (knob at 75%).

I switched it off on the boiler, waited a while and switched it back on but this time only turned the knob just past the low setting (see attached image) and as if by magic the bloody thing fired up and ran until the temp was right with the cylinder thermostat, motorized valve closed and it shut off as it should ??

Am I right in thinking that it wont matter what position the knob is at because the cylinder stat controls all the required heat and the same with the room stat during winter?? and it could run till I replace it next year??

Will check with the multimeter as ajg68 said but cant do it at the mo as the batteries have run out in mine and no spare in the house !! I will update later when Ive checked.
many Thanks
Sean

IMG_0460.jpg
[/img]

I've checked with the multimeter and the Thermistor had failed, so ordered a new one as it was just under a tenner, hopefully this will solve my problem and let me run it for another year !!
Thanks for all your help.
Cheers
Sean

Ive actually still got a couple of new, spare thermistors (the black overheat one and the red one) that I haven't thrown out yet. if you want to PM me your address then Id be happy to post them to you. :)

Ive actually still got a couple of new, spare thermistors (the black overheat one and the red one) that I haven't thrown out yet. if you want to PM me your address then Id be happy to post them to you. :)

ajg68,
Many thanks mate that's nice of you but I've already purchased the stat. You might aswell get them on E-bay pal and at least get something for them as opposed to throwing them out ??

Once again thanks
Sean :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back