mysterious ceiling board, what is it???? pics attached

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have just moved into a new house built circa 1938 and I am in the process of doing the dowstairs loo which involes new downlights, I have removed the shower and pull cord lightswitch and noticed the ceiling was made of board rather thatn lathe and plaster which is what I expected,

it looks like gypsum but has a wierd fabric back to it, some people have suggested asbestolux but when seen it said it wasnt,

one photo shows the back of the material the other shows the existing hole.

has anyone come across this should I worry about cutting holes in it???

any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Just because the house was built in the 1930's does not mean that the eilings date back to then, just looks like normal gypsum to me, the fabric on the back (pictures don't give it away) was likely to help bond the materials.

cheers for that, it had crossed my mind that maybe it had been boarded at a later date but the whole house is the same....

Seems a bit excesive :eek:

I am trying to air on the side of caution but the more I think about it the more I worry about the dreaded asbestos you can scare yourself half to death if you believe everything you read!

it is just unusual looking to me..

ok, done a bit more digging, any thoughts on it being rock lath sounds quite plausable

see bottom of this link:

[/url]http://www.drylining.co.uk/plastering-contractors.html

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back