mysterious light switch wrong way round problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a feeling you are all going to get bored of answering my questions as every time I solve one puzzle a new one appears.

I am converting what was a normal room into a kitchen and am currently sorting out the lights. There were sets of lights operated by 2 switches. I have replaced the first set (wall lights) with flourescent tubes above and below kitchen cupboards. The switch for this was plastered up a couple of weeks ago as I intended to move it and the other lights were good enough. I have moved the switch today by (eventually) tracing the switch cable that was plastered over back to a major junction box which takes cable in from the consumer unit and redistributes. I disconnected the old switch and connected some new cable in exactly the same terminal blocks. I then ran this through a cavity wall to where the new switch was to be. This is a 2 gang 2 way switch as I will also be using it for the other set of lights which will be 2 way. I connected live to one common terminal and nuetral to the associated L2 terminal and then wired up the other switch for 2 way operation (tomorrows project for the other end). The lights work fine but the switch is the wrong way round (IE rocker is in at top when on). I can't remember if it was the same before the old switch was plastered over. The switch is mounted the correct way up so where could I have gone wrong? Probably something stupid - any ideas?

A couple of related questions (1) are there any regulations about the depth of the metal mounting box in different situations
and (2) as the junctions box itself needs rewiring are there any reasons why I couldn't start a new lighting circuit from the consumer unit itself for the other set of lights?

tia
Ian

Sponsored Links
first things first (to avoid cionfusion) the black wire you refer to is not netral but a switched live.

To make your switch work the "corect way connect it to L2 rather than L1, for some unknown reason L2 used to be the corect one to use noew it has been changed to L1 so you must have an old switch.

The switch boxes should be deep enough for the switch to be flush.

And yes you can take a wire for the new lights back to the consumers unit for your new lights, so long as it is connected to the same fuse / mcb as the other downstairs lights

thanks again breezer.

I assume you mean that I should connect to L1 not L2 as it's already connected to L2. I had literally just come to the same conclusion after reading some related material in a book.

OK one final question that's been bothering me all night. I had to take the top off an old junction box to sort out today's fun. I know it needs re-wiring cause many of the wires were brittle and most of the terminal screws were knackered. What is bothering me is that although all red and black wires were connected through a terminal block all the earths were simply twisted together in seemingly random bunches. Should these not also be connected through terminal blocks?

Yes they should, but in days of old that was common practice

Sponsored Links
thanks again breezer.

I'll try and keep quiet for at least a day now :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back