Mystery Tool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anybody tell me what this is called? - Or where i can buy one!

Its about 2-3" long and is used for extracting jets out of stoves.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
not sure of the scale/size but it looks similar to a schraeder core removal tool.

thanks.
i've got the tyre tool and its very similar, but its slightly too small for the job.
theres about 1.5mm in it.

Sponsored Links
harry - it looks self-manufactured (see braze join). Make one yourself from an old (or new :) ) screwdriver. Method: cut screwdriver blade to suitable length; 2,3,or 4 hacksaw blades is in hacksaw frame to cut the slot; small file to adjust width if necessary. Most screwdriver blades are heat-treated at the business end so, as you'll be working at the handle-end, you'll be unlikely to have any difficulty with hard material. No need to harden and temper your new tool end I would venture. If you've got a small angle grinder, a steady hand, and a metal cutting (not grinding) disk, you could also make it with this ... even doing it to the hardened end of the screwdriver.

I agree with Symptoms, except i would probably choose a piece of mild steel bar insead of a screwdriver. Use a foot or so of bar, and bend the end into a handle like a sardine tin key. If the jets are brass, mild steel would probably be adequate.

My experience of modifying screwdrivers is, except for the very cheap ones, the whole blade is hardened, and only the tip is tempered to stop it shattering.

Or you could cut the tip profile into the end of a long bolt. A high tensile bolt is usually soft enough to saw or file, but tougher than mild steel in use.

Another way would be a bit of hex bar the same size as an interchangable screwdriver bit.

I was thinking of suggesting an old screwdriver bit, but they are usually too hard to file to shape, unless you can anneal them first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back