Nail Ply and MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi am doing some vertical shiplap panels in the kitchen and wainscotting in the living room. I have the pdf and play cut the the correct lengths. I was going to use some strong construction adhesive to fix them to the walls (the walls are smooth and pretty straight) however would like to nail them also just in case they bow over time. I have never used a brad nailer or anything like that before and was just wondering if anyone can recommend something? There are stud, dry and concrete walls. Would I need a separate gun for each? Sorry if this seems a silly question. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 230
Sponsored Links
For stud wall (which is drywall, do you mean plastered masonry, perhaps?) and for plastered masonry a 2nd fix (16 gauge) nailed is ideal when used in conjunction with grip adhesive. TBH no conventional nailer will pierce concrete - the nails simply aren't strong enough. What is generally done is to lay horizontal battens (2 x 1in slate paths or 18mm plywood rips of about 50mm width) across all the different wall types using direct screwing to studwork or drilled, plugged and screwed into masonry or concrete (sometimes called a ground). The walling is then fixed to the battens using a 2nd fix nailer only. By creating a ground such as this you avoid the need for different fastenings for walking on different parts of the wall and additionally the battens can be packed out to straighten non-straight walls as well as being able to correct out of plumb walls. Saves a lot of grief in the long run. Also, as you aren't fixing directly to the wall you can get away with using an 18 gauge pinner as opposed to the heavier 16 gauge I mentioned above

Sponsored Links
Nope. Still can't see it, however the description seems to indicate a 25mm pin length. A bit short, that. Additionally any combined staple gun and nailer will have a wide driver blade (for the staples) which will tend to leave a large, unsightly groove where it has driven the nail.

Heavy duty? Don't make me laugh (sorry, but I'm trade and I therefore have different ideas on what heavy duty means.....) I think you need a dedicated pinner/nailer with more like 40mm capacity if you go for a pinner at all. Are you nailing direct to the wall or going for the grounds idea? if so you could always just hand nail your boards with small oval nails, punch them under with a nail set and fill

I was just going to use adhesive then use nails. I'm sure the adhesive would be enough but would rather secure with nails to be safe. Would the small oval nails be ok for the various wall tiles like stud and masonry? thanks.

Looking at these.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 18.24.09.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 18.24.09.png
    213.3 KB · Views: 262
Masonry requires masonry nails. Plasterboard would work with ovals providing you skew them in, although panel pins would also work. For the concrete I can offer no solution (because the pro approach is to drill and fix grounds if possible then nail to that.....)

As the name implies veneer pins are for wood veneers and very thin (2 or 3mm) plywood. They are very hard and are not meant as a permanent fix IMHO

Great advice. I have decided to do the batton thing for the shiplap and do it properly. The only thing is I am not removing the skirting so want it flush as it can be. Do you think these would suffice. It is only 7mm MDF strips I will be pinning to it. I will drill the battons into the concrete and pin the MDF. Would these suffice?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-23 at 15.02.33.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-23 at 15.02.33.png
    261.7 KB · Views: 255
Great advice. I have decided to do the batton thing for the shiplap and do it properly. The only thing is I am not removing the skirting so want it flush as it can be. Do you think these would suffice. It is only 7mm MDF strips I will be pinning to it. I will drill the battons into the concrete and pin the MDF. Would these suffice?
Way too thin and likely to split if nailed.
Use baton to bring everything flush with skirting and then add new over the top .

Thanks. The skirting sits out around 12mm from the wall so if I use anything over 5mm thickness for the Batton the 7mm will overhang or am I being really thick here

Got to say that pin/nail holding in MDF isn't the greatest, plywood, OSB or softwood are all superior. The thickness of the battering should ideally be enough to take out discrepancies in the wall whilst not flexing. Also needs to be thick enough to provide sufficient holding power. TBH 7mm MDF fails on all three counts, even if you skew nail. Better would be something like 5/8in (16mm) ply or 18mm softwood, especially if you are cladding with 16 to 18mm MDF. As Foxhole says it generally isn't worth trying to retain the existing skirting in situ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back