Nail pops in ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for advice. Got rows of nail pops in ceiling. Appears to be a long standing problem - house is 18 yo and I've been here for 2- problem hasn't got worse during this time. Based on online guides - I was going to: 1) Drive 1.75 inch coarse thread drywall screws either side of each pop. 2) Overlap the loose nail with a further screw and set it into joist and prevent it reappearing 3) Fill and sand.

Am I on right lines?
Concerned that doing this along the length of the ceiling could cause movement/damage?
Also some pops are very near junction of wall and ceiling so unsure how to set new screw into joist in these areas?
Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
is it a loft above?

is there heavy stuff up there?

Thanks guys -loft above but no heavy items (at least since we moved in). Checked a few and appears to be all nails. Just want to ensure any repair work I do isn't just a short term fix

Sponsored Links
As Steve suggests, but I'd add a screw alongside each nail (just one) for good measure, as some of the nails may not grip so well as they've come lose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back