Nailing Hessian into scratch coat to protect it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have some builders currently half-way through lime rendering for us.

They've finished scratch coat ... but:

-> I think without wetting bricks first
-> have nailed hessian to this overnight (into the brick) until temperature consistently back to 5'c from Monday onwards

What impact is this nailing in of Hessian likely to have on the scratch coat and overall rendering? I assume a negative one.

And impact of not wetting bricks first either? (fyi bricks are fairly porous/spooled due to a) old cracked cement render allowing moisture in /freezing and b) us getting that cement render removed)

And what should we ask them to do? I'm thinking:

-> remove nails
-> fill in holes with fresh lime render
-> drape hessian from roof downwards, keeping 1-2 inches away from the lime render
-> drape plastic sheeting from higher on roof to keep area waterproof

Any advice very welcome.

(As background: we've had to stop these builders using PVA ("to help render stick"), Waterproofer ("to make mortar more workable") and Sika portland cement WinterMix ("to protect from frost"), so we're aware they're not experienced in lime.)

Sponsored Links
They're using for base and top coat:

1 part - CHAUX DE WASSELONNE – NHL 3.5
3 parts - Travis Perkins Plastering Sand

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back