Nailing/screwing doorframe into lintel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I just made up a door frame for a garage door (think it s about 8 foot wide)
I used nagles(express nails) to nail the jams in however im wary of nailing into the lintels on top as i think they could crack?...is there a special way of doing this?
(2 4" lintels with 4" gap)...timber across top is 6" wide and back an inch from the opening.
In any case the top section of the door frame sits on top of both jams and is not really going anywhere but it could sag over time as its ~8 foot span.
Cheers,
Marty.

Sponsored Links
try drilling with a pilot hole first have you got stone lintles if so use those fixings without sleaves .basically a bolt with no sleave,very good for edge work.
will not crack lintle if you counter bore frame first you will loose head

try drilling with a pilot hole first have you got stone lintles if so use those fixings without sleaves .basically a bolt with no sleave,very good for edge work.
will not crack lintle if you counter bore frame first you will loose head

Sponsored Links
usually on door frames including garage doors all the weight and stress is taken by the sides

so you don't need to screw the head or sill.

You can use expanding foam to keep draughts out and stick it in place to prevent it shaking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back