Installing Angle Iron

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am due to replace a window on my first floor. At present it's timber to be replaced with PVCu.

There is a large poured concrete on the inner leaf. So can I put a angle iron in the outer leaf?

The opening is 4 foot wide. What size lintel should I be getting? Would a 6 x 4 inch 3/8 thick be sufficient. With the span 6 foot be OK?

Should I do anything else to it as I install it?

Sponsored Links
Check you have a cavity first but the size of angle you mentioned will be fine but think you are over doing the overlap at each end, 150mm each end should be fine

Yeah it is a cavity wall. I put a catnic for a new opening downstairs already.

Thanks for that

OK doing a bit more exploring now the room is back to plaster and everything out.

The poured concrete lintel on the inner leaf actually prevents me from slipping an angle iron in the gap I had hoped was there.

The inner lintel is touching the outer leaf, and is 50mm max from top of frame to where the lintel starts. Its been hacked away a bit previously by the looks of it. There is 3 courses of bricks above it before the roof at present.

Most of the windows were replaced with PVCu when before I got the house and I think on this basis none of them have had lintels put in.

What other options do I have bar putting in a concrete lintel, which whilst cheaper will look a bit naff. I think hacking away at the inner leaf lintel would be a long job.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Could you get a single leaf catnic in the gap, like angle iron but thinner or is the concrete lintel right up against the brick?

From what I can tell (on the inside) without taking it all off it is right up against it bridging the cavity

I'll get a tower up on the outside I think and pull it all out and take it from there I guess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back