Single course of bricks above window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m currently replacing all of my windows (with BC sign off). So far all of my downstairs windows have had stone lintels on the inner leaf and angle iron on the outer leaf, but I’m now doing the landing and bathroom windows which go all the way up to ceiling height and I’ve found that these windows are all original wooden frames with one course of brickwork sat directly on the wooden frame on the outer leaf. This course of brick is not visible as it’s hidden by the soffit (the soffit is sealed against the top few mm of the window frame) and at the moment I don’t think they do anything structural at all (the inner leaf seems to support the wall plates and keep the rafters aligned).

Which course of action should I take? Do I need to fit angle iron or is this overkill?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I’m currently replacing all of my windows (with BC sign off). So far all of my downstairs windows have had stone lintels on the inner leaf and angle iron on the outer leaf, but I’m now doing the landing and bathroom windows which go all the way up to ceiling height and I’ve found that these windows are all original wooden frames with one course of brickwork sat directly on the wooden frame on the outer leaf. This course of brick is not visible as it’s hidden by the soffit (the soffit is sealed against the top few mm of the window frame) and at the moment I don’t think they do anything structural at all (the inner leaf seems to support the wall plates and keep the rafters aligned).

Which course of action should I take? Do I need to fit angle iron or is this overkill?
No need for any external support, if there is no visible masonry above the windows.
We normally conceal a length of timber within the eaves space above the soffit, then fix the window head to it.

No need for any external support, if there is no visible masonry above the windows.
We normally conceal a length of timber within the eaves space above the soffit, then fix the window head to it.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping this might be the answer. The soffit is already fitted and it’s just sealed against the brickwork/frame. I think to give me options I’m going to get a 50mm top frame extender too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back