No lintel above window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process stripping off the plaster on a lean-to 1950s ish extension to our house. It seems that there's no lintel above the window (inside or out).

The wall is solid brick (no cavity) and 2 bricks thick. The window frame must be supporting the outer leaf but as far as i can tell, the only thing holding up the inner leaf is the mortar and render.

With it being a lean-to there isn't much in terms of weight above the window, about 2 courses one end to 5 the other (sloping with roof).

I'm just wondering if I should i be thinking about putting lintels in here before going any further?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
So i've decided that while i'm working on the walls i'll put lintels in even though there's not really a structural problem. I've bought 2 concrete lintels from Wickes but just realised that they're rough finish. This should be fine on the inside but for the outside i'm presuming i need something that is faced?

You might get a quicker response if you post in the Building forum.... good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back