1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Name of pipe fitting?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by alexshenfield, 5 May 2017.

1. alexshenfield

alexshenfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

Apologies for posting such a stupid question, but I am a total DIY ignoramus! We had a dishwasher "fitted" recently by a company that sells appliances online and the guys plumbed it in to the water supply OK and fitted the waste output pipe into the existing waste pipe under the sink - BUT, there are two openings in that pipe (see attached picture).

They said that it would be fine to tape over the other opening to stop leaks - but obviously it isn't! I have been looking for a plastic screw on cap or something to replace the tape. However, I have no idea what to look for!

My tape measure tells me it is 32mm (including the threads).

Does anybody have any idea what the part / fitting that I need is called? Or could link me to somewhere that supplies one?

I feel totally ridiculous asking as I'm sure it should be be a 30 second job to fix this - but I have no idea what to look for!

Thank you!

Alex

Attached Files:

2. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    An appliance spigot.

3. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  4. Iamchamps

Iamchamps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  5. Bosswhite

Bosswhite

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Normally a blanking plate and screw fixing would come with that type of waste, maybe the fitters lost it, and bodged it up using Duct Tape. ( What else have they bodged up ??)

6. alexshenfield

alexshenfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you @Dan Robinson, @Iamchamps, and @Bosswhite

The "Appliance Trap Blanking Cap" was what I was looking for! I bought the McAlpine blanking plug from screwfix, but I can't see how it's 32mm as it's 40mm at its narrowest point (it's definitely the right one - at least it says s23u on the packet!).

@Bosswhite I'm going to have to admit that it's me that bodged it with duct tape - solely so we could use the sink! The previous dishwasher was kind of plugged into the waste that is now bodged with duct tape! It seemed to work though :)

Thanks again!

Alex

7. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local