Narrower motorway lanes to ease jams

hermes said:
If you had to pay £12/gallon would you use the motorway so often on your own? If you had to pay for the extra tax on fuel on all the goods you buy that you don't really need and that have been transported all over the place, would you buy so much stuff?
road tax will never get that high - its unrealistic. It would make us all into introverts and we'd all go to skeggy for our holidays :confused:

And supermarkets and any other retailers would be forced out of business - transport is the number 2 cost for these businesses (after electric). And dont start harping on about locally produced goods. A few examples off the top of my head:

HIFIs
bananas
Plasma screens
cars
many exotic fruits, including apples

Made/grown in England?
Yeah . . . right. :eek:

Sponsored Links
hermes said:
If you had to pay £12/gallon would you use the motorway so often on your own? If you had to pay for the extra tax on fuel on all the goods you buy that you don't really need and that have been transported all over the place, would you buy so much stuff?

NB - my trusty blow up doll would never allow me to be alone on the motorway ;)
besides there would be a bloodbath in the streets if fuel taxes were hoiked so high.
Tolls might work, or somekind of electronically readable permit attached to the windscreen....or better still....Bikes. How much kit do you reckon you could get on a bike? :p

hermes wrote,
If you had to pay for the extra tax on fuel on all the goods you buy that you don't really need and that have been transported all over the place, would you buy so much stuff?
All the goods you buy, be they essential or luxury, carry the burden of excessive fuel taxation. The costs are factored into the price you pay at the till.

The terms environment and green were a godsend to unimaginative, greedy and wasteful Governments, who by their very actions show they couldn't really care less about such issues.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
Even when you are on the M25, there's always a bit that's 120 miles away.

Just behind you.....

Now I'm really worried, 'cos I knew the M25 was 118 miles in total. I think I need to reevaluate my life.

crafty1289 said:
hermes said:
road tax will never get that high - its unrealistic.

I think it will and possibly within my lifetime. The demand for oil is increasing while the supply is diminishing. Just imagine that tobacco was in short supply and your shop could only supply 50 packs per week. How much would you be able to sell those packs for? £10, £15, £20? The same will surely happen with fossil fuels.

And supermarkets and any other retailers would be forced out of business - transport is the number 2 cost for these businesses (after electric).

Some will.

And dont start harping on about locally produced goods. A few examples off the top of my head:

HIFIs
bananas
Plasma screens
cars

Many items will become either unavailable or so expensive that most will not be able to afford them.

I once read an amusing observation - attempting to cure traffic congestion by building more roads is like trying to cure obesity by buying bigger trousers.

And as for the M25 - - I thought it was 120-odd, not just under - the things that go wrong when you can't be @rsed to check....

crafty1289 said:
And dont start harping on about locally produced goods. A few examples off the top of my head:

HIFIs
bananas
Plasma screens
cars
Well - bananas, I grant you, and pineapples, citrus fruit...

But apples? We grow the finest apples in the world - no reason why we couldn't be self-sufficient. Indeed, no reason why we shouldn't be - there's far too much imported produce, and something needs to be done to stop it - baby vegetables from Kenya, asparagus from Peru - the other day I saw sprouts from Australia FFS.

And there's no reason why we can't make cars, hi-fi, TVs etc.

That's the worrying bit, I didn't have to check, I knew it was 118 miles.

Sponsored Links
Back