NAS or SAN?

Look on ebay - data centre/server room quality UPS's get refreshed every 3 years or so and the batteries will still have lots of life in them.

Sponsored Links
so the UPS won't add any value, unless it happens to be able to provide power longer than the outage
True but the outage I mentioned was less than a second. The guy is now faced with a recovery bill of something in excess of $500.

Of course, if there's nothing unique on the drive (and there shouldn't be) then it doesn't really matter if it gets trashed. However, a £100 UPS will probably give you ten minute protection for the next 5 years (i.e. until the battery needs replacing) so you need to decide whether it's necessary or worth it.

And still no protection from logical failure ;) vastly more common than physical. Its a backup you need ;)

so the UPS won't add any value, unless it happens to be able to provide power longer than the outage
True but the outage I mentioned was less than a second. The guy is now faced with a recovery bill of something in excess of $500.

Of course, if there's nothing unique on the drive (and there shouldn't be) then it doesn't really matter if it gets trashed. However, a £100 UPS will probably give you ten minute protection for the next 5 years (i.e. until the battery needs replacing) so you need to decide whether it's necessary or worth it.

Edit: I see what you mean about unique - i.e. you mean backup

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back