NAS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of investing in a substantial NAS device. I currently have two laptops and a PC. PC is hardwired to a Belkin wireless router, which transmits to the two laptops.

The thinking behind the NAS is that I get all my itunes music on it, and then download Itunes to the two laptops (its currently on my PC, with the music on the c drive). The two laptops and the PC would be using the same download/play account, since i have about 3 activations left with apple.

I was wondering also about the possibility of using the NAS to transmit my music to my laptop in other locations via the www, so the PC can open the folders on it, not nessecarily have itunes pick it up, but be able to open the tracks. I would be using friends connections, dont worry. I know upload speed would be an issue from the home end (actually i just checked, i get just over a meg upstream :eek: ) i would get the song in a couple of minutes. Having itunes pick up the NAS remotely would be a luxury though if its possible! :LOL: I dont have a fixed IP unfortunately, but I am never disconnected, so it doesnt change much (852 hours so far at the moment for instance)

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
You could use something like custom DNS (www.dyndns.org) to give you a "fixed" point of reference in the world and then use one of the many free FTP packages around to allow you to connect to your site. You could even use Windows IIS. You'll need to do a little research, but it's not that difficult to set up. You'll need to open a port through your router too.

Sponsored Links
Back