Windows 8.1 question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of buying a new laptop with Win. 8.1 on it. For my existing PC on Win. XP, I have a 7-year -old Iomega 320Gb back-up external hard drive, and was wondering, will this work OK on Win 8.1? It would be useful for moving my music and photo folders to a new laptop. All advice appreciated, thank you.

Sponsored Links
I just did the upgrade (can't say I am enamored with 8.1) my old external drive was fine can't see why there would be a problem it's only a usb connection.

What you will find however is that 8.1 will be unable to read your old XP documents, total rip off all you get is wordpad and notepad both usless as proper word processing. You either have to download 3rd party free software (which can be a risk on your new machine) or spend another £100 on Windows Office to get access to your old word docs!

That's because you only upgraded the operating system.
The operating system does not include MS Office - its a separate installation.

So it was NOT a rip off.

Had you upgraded Office (assuming that's what you refer to for documents) then you would be able to read them. Yes it is expensive and I would advise against office360 unless you want to keep paying every year.

Depending upon what version it is, if you have everything to install your old office that may or may not work however simply getting one of the free replacements is more than adequate.

TBH if you have a machine with XP on then forget trying to put win8 on it, it just wont be upto the right spec to run it well. It needs new hardware (as in the new laptop the OP is getting).

Although personally I'd knock it back to Win7.

Yes true, but every new computer from every maker I have ever bought had works for windows bundled on it free.

Now you do not get that if you want just works the download is just as much as the full office one.

I had a look after I bought the new computer and you do need to budget another 100 quid on top of the price of a new computer now which is a nasty suprise when all other new machines have been able to open old files straight out of the box.

Sponsored Links
If your old computer had works for windows on it then that's possibly what you can put on your new one.

When you buy a complete PC now they usually come with student versions or trials.

Whats available with the pcs changes.

Just like buying anything else. One year certain addons are given away to make the sale, another year they are not.

If you dont like it then get Linux and stick to free packages.

Or just get the one you want by other means.

By the way zokko there is a tool from windows that you can download to see if your existing computer is up to converting, I ran it but quite a few programs needed changing and you had to completely wipe the drive before installing, I did not want to chance that so bought new and kept the old computer as a back up till everything was safely transferred.

I have 8.1 on a desktop

Using 'ClassicShell' ( http://www.classicshell.net/ ), This gives the Win7 type main interface - Start button etc.

The normal 8.1 interface remains in place and, surprise, surprise ! It begins to grow on one, quite charming at times.
I do not have a touch screen, but it is 27" - probably makes a deal of difference.
Don't know about the Iomega external drive, but all my old internal / external drives previously used with Win98 etc work ok with 8.1.

BTW Office 2007, around 7 years young - installed and working as it always did, was used with 32bit Win98Pro now 64bit 8.1 Pro ( bona fide MS install dvd ) I am certain I installed Office 2003 on a mate's Win8.1 machine, no complaints (if he actually uses it).

I do wonder if overall machine power makes a big difference to the experience? I guess it is as always was 'no substitute for cubic inches' 'ish...
-0-

Sponsored Links
Back