Connecting old HD to laptop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a hard drive from my PC which refuses to boot, I would like to connect it to my laptop or new PC to save the files from it, it is a Seagate barracuda 7200. Is it possible to do this without dismantling the laptop or PC

Sponsored Links
If the pc won't boot, you've got little alternative but to remove the hard drive from the case and either use the device suggested by SteNova or a USB caddy. You can then connect the hard drive to the caddy and connect that to a USB port on your laptop. Assuming your drive is still in working condition, you should then be able to copy whatever files you need.

I bought one of the IDE to usb converters and fired up the hard drive, it shows up as drive f on my new pc but thats it, tried clicking on it, nothing happens, when i unplug it a window comes up saying disc needs formatting, anyone got any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I bought one of the IDE to usb converters and fired up the hard drive, it shows up as drive f on my new pc but thats it, tried clicking on it, nothing happens, when i unplug it a window comes up saying disc needs formatting, anyone got any ideas?

If you right click and choose properties, what does it say?

When I right click on the drive, the egg timer appears and thats all, stays like that till i unplug it

Back