Using Laptop as PC monitor - Possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, basically as above but I wouln't be me if I didn't waffle.

I have to keep my PC due to Sound Card, and need my laptop for mobile.
However, desk not big enough for Laptop and PC monitor. Is there anway of combing the two. (I know I could network them but would that enable me to run sofware and hardware that is on the PC from the laptop?

Any suggestions?
Thanks
TOm

Sponsored Links
PC anywhere would allow you to do this from anywhere even via internet link.

But as for actually using the monitor on the laptop screen as the main pc screen then no, you can place the laptop on a docking station and use the pc's mouse keyb and monitor but it doesn't work the other way round.

otherwise software that will enable you to remotely control your main pc from you're laptop via network, internet or modem.

http://www.symantec.com/redirects/circle/enterprise_security_and_ses/pcagamemore/

You could use a KVM which will allow one monitor, mouse & keyboard to control multiple PCs.

You could also use remote desktop to access the laptop from the desktop (or vice versa).

By far the cheapest option is to use remote desktop software from the laptop. this will enable you to run the desktop for the PC on your laptop.

If the desktop machine is running Windows XP or later, Remote desktop is built into it. Switched off by default though. You can find the settings at Start>Control Panel>System and click on the Remotes tab. If you are using an earlier OS on the desktop PC I would recommend TightVNC http://www.tightvnc.com/ It's free :D It has 2 parts. The server and the viewer. You install the server on the PC and set it up. Run the viewer on the laptop and hey presto, remote desktop.[/url]

Sponsored Links
If you are running graphically intense applications then the only way to go is a cheap 2 port KVM switch, else remote desktop would be OK.

Make sure the KVM is a USB only to make sure it is compatible with the laptop. You can then place the laptop by the side of the pc the and then connect the USB and video connectors into the laptop.

Let me know if you need more info on either solution!

Back