Nasty coving job

r00

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

This is my first post on here, so be gentle with me.

After 10 years of renting, my boyfriend and I have finally bit the bullet, and bought a house (wohoo). The house is in pretty good nick, the previous owners have already done quite a bit of work.

Whilst some of the work has been well done, some of it is a shambles. In the back room (dining room), they've removed the chimney breast.

It looks like they've taken the chimney breast out, themselves (we've had it all checked out by a builder, and he said it's safe as the bricks have been tied) , and done a very dodgy texted plaster job, to try and cover it up. They've also tried to put some coving in, where the chimney breast used to be. For someone unknown reason, rather than just buying a piece of coving, it looks like they've tried to hand mould the coving? What ever they've done, the end result is shocking! :rolleyes:

I'm hoping to get the back room plastered, as I can't stand the textured plaster effect, and I was just wondering what I should do about the coving. Would it be easier to:

A: Try and chip away what they've done, and replace it, before we have the room replastered?
or
B: Get the room replastered, and ask the guy to just lay the plaster on extra thick on the ceiling and just lose a bit of the coving?

My boyfriend and I are DIY amateurs, so we're just totally reliant on internet forums and advice from friends.

Thank in advance.
x

Sponsored Links
I would suggest that you remove the dodgy coving prior to plastering, then have it replaced correctly on a nice flat even surface.
I assume the coving is to match what is already fitted.
Do you have any pictures you can upload, so we can see what you are talking about?

My boyfriend and I are DIY armatures,

x

It'll make your head spin. :p :p :p (Nige will like that one).

BTW, there are regulations covering the removal of a chimney and it is a notifiable work so the Council need to be involved.

Sponsored Links
I'll take some pics tomorrow, and post them on here for you guy to look at. I really can't explain just how bad it is.

joe-90 - I don't know where you got that typo quote from ;)

Do we have to get the council involved, even if we're just plastering the wall? Due to it being a repossesion, we don't know if they had the council involved, when they removed it. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back