coving - moved from another forum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fellow DIYers,

I arrived home on Friday night to find that some coving on the chimney breast above the fireplace in my living room had fallen down and marked my Mahogany mantelpiece. Certainly not something I was particularly thrilled about. I installed the coving around 3 years ago and suspect the accident was due to one of the following:-

1. The heat from the fireplace had dried out the coving adhesive (Wickes pre-mixed ready to use type).

2. There is a lot of spring in the upstairs joists causing ceiling flex.

3. The chimney breast is not the flattest in the world and therefore I had not used enough coving adhesive.

I have now fitted some new coving using Gyproc mix yourself coving adhesive. I have lightly screwed the coving at both ends. This is done with clearance holes through the coving with screws into the plasterboard. This is not to hold the coving in place, more to prevent it falling down if in the future the adhesive fails.

Whilst a good quantity of coving cement pressed out of the coving during installation (which I then removed) my question relates to filling. Prior to the original coving falling down, I always seemed to have a crack open up between the cove and the ceiling. Can anyone suggest a decent flexible heat resistant filler which is paintable??

Many Thanks

Need Help21

Sponsored Links
Ive always used decorators chaulk, Its easy to fill, do it twice as the first will shrink.

Cheap stuff at BQ i used it about 1.20 a tube!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back