Preserve Coving with overboarding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just moved into a 1920's house which is in need of a little tlc. I have quite 4 good size rooms where the ceilings lath/plaster have been lined with paper and you can see line cracks in them under the paper. None seem to be bowing or have totally blown yet.

My problem is each room has very decorative coving which I want to preserve, it's not brittle by the looks. I understand that getting these skimmed. I will need to remove the paper and then screw up the areas and tape them the cracks.

Here's my question/s?

1. Will these probably crack again in a short period of time after skimming? I know thats an open question but I'd rather try and deal with now long term if possible.

2. Cut out old ceiling up to the coving or the closest joist and reboard?

3. Overboard the ceilings with a stop bead say 1" away from each coving then skim? Possibly with a tappered edge to the coving?

I've had 2 plaster's look at them so far 3rd tomorrow with different methods.

Any suggestions ideas would be great.

Thanks all,

Carlos

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Obviously didn't look deep enough.

Thanks Micilin, will recommend it to them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back