Overboarding a Coved Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a ceiling which has coving already fitted, it's a lathe and plaster ceiling and unfortunately has now started to crack and sag fairly badly. My plan is to overboard with large and staggered 9.5mm plasterboard sheets.

I have identified the joist locations on either side of the room and so can guarantee solid fixing points.

My query is that I don't want to remove the existing coving as it's a large ceiling and a big room - if I overboard I believe that the new boards will be level with the current upper lip of the coving, therefore it might look odd if I simply butted the board up to the coving.

Instead, I've read about a bead that can be applied around the edge of the boards, but can't find any pictures or references to show how this might look in the context of a ceiling?

Has anyone done this and can link me to the type of bead that I'll need, as well as some pictures of how this looks once completed?

Appreciate your help!

Sponsored Links
http://www.plasterersforum.com/general-discussions-on-plastering/37708-overboarding-coved-ceiling.html

Google is your friend.................

Jay

Already reviewed this prior to posting here, it didn't answer the queries that I have posed.

Just a thought, but thinking laterally how about sticking a timber bead / decorative moulding to the top of the coving and overpainting to give a cove with a fluted / decorative edge at the top?

Sponsored Links
http://www.plasterersforum.com/general-discussions-on-plastering/37708-overboarding-coved-ceiling.html

Jay

Already reviewed this prior to posting here, it didn't answer the queries that I have posed.

??????????? It has links to all the relevant beads you have asked about and explains how they are fitted and the effect they give...... :rolleyes:

Just a thought, but thinking laterally how about sticking a timber bead / decorative moulding to the top of the coving and overpainting to give a cove with a fluted / decorative edge at the top?

That's a rather nice idea actually, it avoids messing around with plasterboard beads and can also be applied after the ceiling has been reboarded and skimmed!

I'll look into this, thanks!

Thanks all - so at present I'm considering this stuff:

http://www.builderdepot.co.uk/speed-pro-514-3m-drywall-feature-bead-return-for-board-galvanised.html

...the main reason is that if I were to butt the boards up to the current coving, they'd be level with where the coving starts to curve and therefore it would look odd, even if using a bead. Applying a wooden trim/bead (as suggested above) is one good solution that could work but might be hard trying to find a suitable wooden bead.

So...using the above linked bead, a small gap/trench would be left between the boards and coving, creating a nice shadow effect and hopefully delivering what I'm trying to achieve.

I've read about a bead that can be applied around the edge of the boards, but can't find any pictures or references to show how this might look in the context of a ceiling?

Has anyone done this and can link me to the type of bead that I'll need, as well as some pictures of how this looks once completed?

Once sorted I'll update this thread with progress and pictures showing how it looks after, to help others searching for what I am, pictures of the finished effect in the context of a ceiling.

Jay

Hey there! Welcome To The Plasterers Forum

It appears that you've exceeded the maximum number of posts you can view on the Plasterers Forum as a guest, but wait, there's a simple solution.
To unlock the Plasterers forum and continue viewing messages, all you need to do is sign up for a free account.

The entire process takes just a few minutes so create your account now and view as many threads as you like!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Dont think I have ever been on the site before, but am using a shared internet connection.

Daniel

Dont think I have ever been on the site before, but am using a shared internet connection.

Daniel

It's a pretty stupid system as it must be using IP addresses to check whether a user has visited already and exceeded the 'guest' count. Some ISP's are still using random IP addressing which means that upon each connection to the internet, you might get an IP previously used by someone else that week.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back